Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I just signed up on this forum hoping that you guys could all help me out big time! I ride a Yamaha YFZ 450 quad and I must say that once there is more than 6 or so inches of snow on the ground the thing isnt very exciting. When its dry it is simply bad-ass.
I have seen several pictures of people running snowmobile skis on the front of there atv's and paddle tires on the back. I have my mind set on fabbing up some skis for the front but what I really need is a few close up shots of the ski assemblies on your snowmobiles! If you could take pics to show me how the skis mount up and so on I would appreciate it very much. I want to do this project the right way and not ghetto rig it.

Here is a pic of my quad. There was about a foot of snow and it surpisingly (but slowly) pulled its way through.

Here is a picture of the set up I am aiming for.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
have u tried studding up your tires?? just a thought, and also they have done articles on putting skis on your quad in the dirtwheels magazine. i don't know if u can look it up online at maybe dirtwheelsmag.com or something

·
Registered
135 Posts
People sell kits for that situation! check google for a search!

·
Registered
462 Posts
firecat21 said:
have u tried studding up your tires?? just a thought, and also they have done articles on putting skis on your quad in the dirtwheels magazine. i don't know if u can look it up online at maybe dirtwheelsmag.com or something
studding the tires will only help ice, not pushing through the deep snow, that is his real problem I think

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know if those pics are working for you guys or not but in one of them there is a good foot of snow and studs wont help much there. The third pic down is a pic of a raptor with skis on the front, i posted that to give you an idea incase you were sure of my ideas but you all seem to be aware of my goal. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Im aware of several different companies making ski/track combos for atv's but the track kits sell for over 3 grand and thats rediculous. I emailed one company to see if I could buy just the skis but I havent gotten a reply yet.
I wonder if snowmobile spindles would somehow mate with the spindles on my quad. I was going to buy an extra set of spindles for the ski setup cuz Im not gonna go welding my only set. So do you think I can weld the spindes together maybe after some modifications?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Cool idea... but I have to ask; why you want to do this? Where are you planning to ride?

ALL state funded snowmobile trails in NY forbid the use of ATVs on them - for good reason. The impact of an ATV on the environment is far more than that of a snowmobile. Snowmobiles ride on top of the snow. ATVs dig huge ruts all the way down to the dirt. That makes it hard for snowmobilers to ride the trails, and groomers have to constantly fix the damage. Not to mention - private land owners will close the trails if they see ATV traffic on them.

If you're planning to ride around on your own private property, then that's fine. If you're planning to ride on any snowmobile trails, I would say "please don't ruin it for the rest of us"! Go buy yourself a sled instead. You can get something that will outrun your ATV/ski contraption (easily) for a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never had the idea of going to snowmobile trails. I know that would never happen. It was just so I could play around in the regular atv trails in the snow a little better than I can now.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
PhResTyL28 said:
I never had the idea of going to snowmobile trails. I know that would never happen. It was just so I could play around in the regular atv trails in the snow a little better than I can now.
Then, my advice to you would be to fabricate a custom *ski saddle* which would mount to your existing ATV axle. That would be far easier than trying to fit a spindle on your ATV. If you have a couple old hubs to start with, you could probably weld something up that would work. Find a couple steel skis, or plastic skis without aluminum saddles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts