Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan and I found out that i like sleds. Im 16 and looking to buy one. I have just under $1K to spend. Brand does not matter, but I would like something fairly fast (who doesnt). Does anyone know of good sleds i can look for or anyone with a starter sled that I can buy one off of?
Thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome, what area of Michigan are you from and what wil you be riding( field lakenor trail) I'd suggest a late 1990's Polaris Indy 440 or Indy 500, I don't know too much about the other brands, but those two are proven good running reliable machines for the most part

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im from SE Mi in a lil town called Richmond roughly 50min north of Detroit and 30min SW of Port Huron. I will mainly be riding in open fields but might do some trail riding in the upper part of the Lower Peninsula.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah i wasnt worried about the colors i just want one that runs, i can wrench on once in a while for a winter project, and ones im able to hang with all girls that have sleds. Those posts are roughly 30min away aint to bad im willing to drive. I kinda want something a little cheaper but i think I may try to bargain these guys and knock it down a little. Im still lookn though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
you may also want to run some searches on CL for arctic cat zr/zl 500 or zr 440 ski doo formula 500 or mxz 500? might want to stay away from mxz 440 i believe those are race sleds and are premix? which wouldnt be good for trails yamaha vmax 500, you might want to run some searches for 600's you might find one thats cheap enoguh, the only thing is it will be quite abit of sled to handle and will suck down a bit more gas

im assuming you dont want a fan cooled, so youll want to watch out for indy sports, insy trails, arctic cat z440 or ski doo formula sl

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright that sounds good but Ill be running open fields alot more than trails. And gas aint a huge deal we have 500gal tanks on that stuff.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well dang, as of right now im hoping I get one for christmas.....cuz this search seems impossible

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
as far as the recently mentioned skidoos. The MXZX 440's are the race engines that you won't want. And the other MXZ 440's are fan cooled. So you don't want any skidoo 440's. I'd look once again, heavily into the mxz or formula 500's. The Polaris indy 500's, the yamaha vmax 500's, or ZR or ZL 500 or any other 500 would be perfect for a beginner. 600's are good too, if you can find a cheap enough, decent one.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
first one is a fanner. And overpriced at that. Worth maybe $5-600. It just doesn't look good at all. Not to mention the owner doesn't sound too smart. He says it's "a 440, which would make it a 500, I think"...... NO.... that makes it?...ummm..... A 440!!!

Second one is my overall favorite. It's in good shape, has had the whole motor redone, and done right at that with the whole bottom end done.

The third one has sat for 3 years so it'll need some work to get running right.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The first one I like because i can probabally fix the body up some and 5-600 is kinda the right price. The 2nd one is my favorite but i wanna try to bargain with him to knock it down a little...its blue booked less than that. The 3rd is a project.

But I wanna save some money for clothes/gear.....may I ask how much some cheep stuff is I have the basic stuff I just need a new jacket and helmet......raccoons got into one of our old helmets.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Just use your standard winter jacket.... otherwise theres older polaris riding gear on craigslist or ebay all the time for around $40. Helmets on there too for about $50. We got one of our helmets at a rummage sale for $25 for a very nice helmet. Otherwise a new cheaper helmet would be at fleet farm for $70 or so. I just got my new HJC helmet at a dealer clearance for $90.

That first sled will need a seat cover and a nose cone. It will also be a bit slower due to it being a fanner.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ahhhh alrighty....may i ask the purpose of a nose cone? or even what that is?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
goes over the 'nose' of the sled and covers the hood hinges. You'll see the front of the second sled is pointed and the first one you can see the hinges.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts