Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedo stopped working. Checked both ends of the cable and it seems to spin freely, no binding, both ends were connected, i reconnected them after checking, and it still don't work. Anybody got any suggestions on what to check?
:confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts
i say leave it 'till you're ready to sell it. but if you dont wanna do that, my friend just yesterday took his 02 zr 600 apart and found what was wrong with his speedo, i'll have to ask him what it was, i cant remember now. i know it was something to do with the jackshaft, it was a pretty big job, so he wouldnt have bothered with it if he didnt already have to take his track out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Try unhooking the speedo at the drive shaft and putting the end in a drill, when you run the drill the speedo will run. If it doesnt the the cable or the speedo is junk. Or you could do like Hillbillies do and run it till you lose your drive shaft cause the bearing is gone. Or better yet you could put on a boost bottle, twin pipes,clutch kit and all the other equipt it takes to get those red sleds to go fast enough so you don't dare to look down! Yea, thats it. Really, check the bearing before you have to spend $255.00 to repair it. Good luck.

POLARIS: 'THE WAY OUT' (OF SNOWMOBILEING)
WHATS HE DOING IN A CAT POST? OTHER GUYS CAN'T TYPE I GUESS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes that happened to me and it was the driveshaft bearing. I had to replace the bearing lock too as it was damaged when I took it off. It's a pretty big job but I did it in about 3 hrs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info from all of u !!!! yeah it also sounds like i have a bad bearing because i can hear a squeak from somewhere in the track but from the noise from the engine while running it on a stand made it hard to locate!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
i was getting my zr 600 fixed and got it back and the speedo didnt work. could it be the same problem? cause it worked fine before and they had the track off in the shop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts