Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off....I am totally new to snowmobiling. I just took my first trip up the the UP in Michigan. I used my boyfriends sons sled. I want to buy my own now. I am torn between the Performance 500 XC SP and the Trail Luxury 500 Classic. I don't think I would be considered an aggressive rider. The trails we rode this past weekend had tons of bumps. The machine I was on 500 Indy, I thought, took them kind of hard. Got any suggestions for a nice smooth ride for a female driver?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I own a 500 xc sp and it has killer suspention. It is also way faster than the Trail Lux. Classic. You may not be agressive now, but maybe by the end of the season? I would personally choose the xc sp, but of course I am biased towards it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't want to argue but you would be much happier on the Classic, it's what my wife rides and she just loves it. With reverse and elec. start you'll think you were in a car and they fast enough if you're just getting started in sledding. Often too much power can be deadly. My wife can run at a very nice pace with her sled and has passed many "Male Riders" in her day, so make your mind up and get out there riding! Both sleds would suit you but I would vote twards the Classic. shane

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How fast will these machines go? They are both pretty close in price range. Dang this is hard! When your spending that kind of money, you want the perfect machine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Trail vs XC

I own a 99 XCSP500 and love it ( and it was a friends wifes sled , she loved it too, just unable to ride this winter). It is a great sled. Fast, yep! about 95mph , dangerous- nope. I've had my wife and both teen daughters driving it with no problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Come to think of it, shanek might be right. I sure would like to have that electric start and reverse. But if you like to ride agressively, the xc sp is the machine for you. Much quicker. My buddy just got a 2004 550 fan, and he says my machine blows his away. Is the classic liquid cooled?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The 04's come with the perc reverse, and electric start is an accesory option.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I would have to say the XCSP

·
Registered
48 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan on doing? do you plan on doing mostly trail riding because then the classic might be better for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sixx788, just my 2 cents but if you want the smooth ride and can find the right sled I would say look for a classic with the m-10 suspension. even if you had to go with a 600 classic the m-10 is worth its wieght in gold when it comes to smoothing out the bumps. Also as far as going with the 600 it is a very nice and smooth engine and you don't have to use all the power ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
shdwjim said:
sixx788, just my 2 cents but if you want the smooth ride and can find the right sled I would say look for a classic with the m-10 suspension. even if you had to go with a 600 classic the m-10 is worth its wieght in gold when it comes to smoothing out the bumps. Also as far as going with the 600 it is a very nice and smooth engine and you don't have to use all the power ;)
And a fine two cents they are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you were to ether i would suggest 500 classic its a great sled quick , nimble, all the luxurys , great ride. I had a 99' 500 classic it was a blast to ride . The classic is on the same chassis as 500xc ,same motor , only difference is electric start etc.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree, my cousins wife is purchasing a classic with the perc revers ( no weightadded) the elec start. for my money, i think you should lean towards classic. Some have m-10 suspension (the one she is getting) its fast, cushy and styling. i really think you woudl be happiest with the classic

dano

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea, buy a cat or doo and stay away from that same old same old!. Old ,old, old time for a change maybe I would buy one if was'nt the same sled from the 80's old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sleds

Not to start trouble....but I have been a Polaris
rider since 96. Had some problems with both our sleds 2 weeks ago. Went to the dealer upnorth to buy 2 new XC 500 but they had none. Looked at the Revs and bought 2. My wife loves it and so so I.
OMG what a difference. The bumps are nothing now.
We can ride 100 miles and she is ready for a few more. Thats a change. We were riding a 99 XC500
and a 97 Indy 440 Liquid.Sorry all but Polaris has been sleepin the last couple years in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts