Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so how do you guys store your old sleds? I wish I could say I had a nice climate controlled storage space but I don't. I have a dirt floor a tarp and a "portable garage" from Harbor freight.

Should I raise the sled off the ground?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Empty the fuel tank as much as possible, run it until it's totally out of gas, drain the carb float bowls, fog the cylinders, plug the exhaust and air intakes with steel wool, distribute mothballs through out the sled, raise the sled off the ground and cover it.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
With only a dirt floor, it would be advisable to put it on a pallet to allow air to circulate around it better.
Put a wad of steel wool into the exhaust outlet to keep critters out. Moth flakes or dryer sheets keep them from the engine bay and air box.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with old man with 1 possible exception, and that exception is, if it has a built in all steel gas tank, then in my opinion you want it as full as possible so condensation cannot form and start rusting the inside of the gas tank. I always store my motorcycle with a steel tank as full as possible with Sta-Bil in the gas.

if its a plastic tank, by all means drain it, then you can start with fresh gas the next season

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
if you dont have a shed or roof, raise the track off the ground and let it hang, and cover the sled with a cover/tarp, whatever is available.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with old man with 1 possible exception, and that exception is, if it has a built in all steel gas tank, then in my opinion you want it as full as possible so condensation cannot form and start rusting the inside of the gas tank. I always store my motorcycle with a steel tank as full as possible with Sta-Bil in the gas.

if its a plastic tank, by all means drain it, then you can start with fresh gas the next season
Good point. A guy kinda forgets that some of these old sleds had steel tanks.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
with our previous sleds we did the exact procedure that Old man first stated. Now we just fill up full and use stabil. Then run once a month.

·
Registered
142 Posts
that's the way i winterize my vintage boats also fill the fuel tank to stop condensation and put in stabilizer in so i would think it would also work on vintage sleds so that's why i summerize my sleds the same way and lift off the ground

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok... so how do you guys store your old sleds? I wish I could say I had a nice climate controlled storage space but I don't. I have a dirt floor a tarp and a "portable garage" from Harbor freight.

Should I raise the sled off the ground?
EASY, just give it to me.:laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wooooaaaahhh!!!

Empty the fuel tank as much as possible, run it until it's totally out of gas, drain the carb float bowls, fog the cylinders, plug the exhaust and air intakes with steel wool, distribute mothballs through out the sled, raise the sled off the ground and cover it.
DO NOT EVER I REPEAT DO NOT EVER LET A 2 STROKE run out of gas!! no gas means no oil and if your running it out of that CMON just think of the badddd that leads to. well i guess it probly wouldnt hurt it if ur oil injected but still just drain it clean the carbs raise ur track off the ground. tarp it cover all openings

·
Registered
470 Posts
DO NOT EVER I REPEAT DO NOT EVER LET A 2 STROKE run out of gas!! no gas means no oil and if your running it out of that CMON just think of the badddd that leads to. well i guess it probly wouldnt hurt it if ur oil injected but still just drain it clean the carbs raise ur track off the ground. tarp it cover all openings
You obviously don't understand what fogging the motor is.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Yeah. Fogging means putting fogging OIL into the cylinders to prevent rust and keep the parts lubed. Remember: The oil does not burn well, so it stays longer than the fuel. You never have more gas than oil.

I run my trimmer and leaf blower out for the winter, and it doesn't hurt it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just set mine on a pallet top the tank off and put extra oil in it and stabil then loosen my track take the belt off oil the clutchs lift the track up so the springs don't set or bend in position then also before i put oil in the cyl.'s i unhook the gas lines from the carb and run it dry then i dump a cap full of oil in the pistons turn the key to off and pull it a few times then during the summer i start it run it ride it (on a cooler day and not for long and only on grass) then do this list again

·
Registered
234 Posts
Couple other non engine tips...

All bushings, spindle shafts, tie rod ends, and cables should receive a
light coat of oil or grease.

Grease fittings should be filled.

If you cover it, make sure the cover can breath, otherwise you'll have condensation under a plastic tarp.

Put a tarp on the dirt floor to prevent moisture from sitting under your sled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts