Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Indy 500 Trail all stock.

In powder it tracks fine. On rutted trails, the darting is driving me crazy and my arms hurt at the end of the day from fighting with the steering.

What is the best change I can make to the runners/carbides to make the trail (packed rutted) riding more comfortable and steering in these conditions more responsive?

I do drive off trail into the powder often, travel moreso on trails.

It was just serviced at the Polaris dealer a month ago, and he replaced the carbides with cheap OEM, but the skiis were not out of allignment.

Thanks,

Jeremy

[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out studboytraction.com

I just put a pair of their new Shaper Bars on an 02 600 XCSP and they work great. I ride groomed trails here and it holds very well. They sell at retail for $79 a pair.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The first thing to check is the toe in/out on the skis. I think they should be 1/8 inch wider at the front than in the back. A quick call to a dealer should get you the exact measurement. Basically measure how far apart the skis are at the back, then again at the front. the center of the ski is a good referance point.

·
Registered
711 Posts
They also have these runners call easy steer or somthing like that, they work great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might have too much pressure on the ski's which will make them follow other ski ruts. You can also try raising just the front of the ski so you have more weight on the rear of the ski. Stock Yamaha ski's dart pretty bad untill you adjust the way the ski meets the ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get some Simons Flexy Skis! There are awsome! They have the two carbide runners on the outside of each ski. No darting what so ever. Also helps alot with turns, they dont push through the corners. about $400 i think

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
try the woody dooleys... friends have them and they say they have no more darting

·
Registered
101 Posts
First off make sure that your sled is running straight and all aligned. The easy steer kit does work great, I had it on my old sled, a 1991 cougar and it handled great. If you are willing to spend the money Woody Doolyes also help eliminate darting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
if your arms are getting tired, just loosen the ski pressure. normally all you have to do is turn the spring. just turn it a few turns at a time til you get it handleing right. that will help ALOT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts