Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Polaris RMK 151" /// 2002 Polaris RMK 159"
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got 2 sleds, 2001 and 2002 Polaris RMKs and I snapped the pull cord on the 2002. We ordered some cobra cords for the pair, and I've got the exhaust off one, how do I get the recoil housing off the sled without potentially damaging anything? Its buried back behind various hoses and I don't know if there's anything I have to watch out for.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,333 Posts
It's pretty simple. Remove the two bolts that hold the oil pump. Remove the 6 bolts that hold the recoil. You can do this without removing the lines to the oil pump, which will save you from having to bleed the pump.

The bottom bolt on the housing is a royal pain to get to. There are a few of those that did not get replaced. Just saying ;)

While the recoil is off, check the belt that's under it. That belt drives both the water pump and the oil pump, so having a good one is pretty important. To replace that, you will have to take the recoil basket off of the flywheel. THat will allow the belt to slide off and the new one to slide back on.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I would replace the belt as well. I posted that belt number a long time ago but ICR. Always a good idea any time you do a recoil.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
LOL Yep...But that is Polaris! Should find that thread and post the numbers in here. I need to do a thread on the round mikuni carburetors as well still. Was going to last week but then I had nerve block surgery friday on the right knee and had it today on the left knee. So for 24 hours I am coming down off of their meds as I get knocked out because of all the scar tissue in both knees. So between that and the bruising/soreness I don't feel normal again till Wednesday.

I'll try to find that number later tonight and post it here.I know I found it on a few sites since they are now making them aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Yeah I had a post though with all the aftermarket numbers. Gonna try to locate it after I get done schooling some moron on a car audio forum,lol.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Yep I found it. Gates makes one called a GT3 along with an upgraded one as well. For the price and considering they are the same I would use the link below. Order 2 one to put on the snowmobile now and one for the bench and throw the one on there now in the garbage.

One below is a Gates and 14 buck shipped.

·
Registered
2001 Polaris RMK 151" /// 2002 Polaris RMK 159"
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, got the recoil off, and managed to get the bottom bolt on and off without a problem(I was surprised). The replacement rope I pulled of a parts sled is a bit short, but ill only use it until Monday when my cobra cord shows up. Regardless, the sled started up first pull.👌

1 - 12 of 12 Posts