Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you have to remove the motor on a 1991 mach 1 to get the clutch off?

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
No there should be a plug on the side panel. To remove the clutch bolt, try feeding about a foot of soft nylon rope into the spark plug hole. You will need the right puller bolt to remove it. Try a pump or two of grease in the hole before you put puller in!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would i need to put the nylon rope in the spark plug hole

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
Old school method of stopping the motor from turning over, instead of either having a buddy hold the clutch, or worse sticking a pipe in it and damaging it..

Remove the plug on the side of the tunnel, remove the clutch bolt, (see above) it might be a tight one.

Once that is off, you need the correct clutch puller for your sled/clutch. Once you have it, a couple pumps of greese in the opening will do wonders, put the puller in the same hole the clutch bolt came out of and start threading it in. Once it gets tight, a nice four way works to tighten it down, and you will hear a POP/BANG and the clutch will come off.

The grease helps with this by acting as a hydraulic push. The clutch is just pressed on, one a tapered shaft. Pressure keeps it there as well as takes it off

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
the purpose of the grease isn't to help via hydraulic action, as there is no leverage advantage. You are actually LOOSING some advantage with grease, since you are also applying pressure to the sidewalls. (The area of your puller that puts pressure on the grease is spread out over a larger area than what you are pushing with)

anyway, grease provides lubrication as well as cushioning the crankshaft from the puller, especially when using an impact wrench.

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
I used the hydro method the other day and it worked great. I used oil and an impact.

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
The grease does in a way act as a push, as it displaces the amount of air in the cavity, thus increasing the pressure that is applied to it.

Either way you look at it, adding the grease helps and should be used whether to help or protect.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts