Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Summit 800
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding a 2016 ski soo summit 800 etec. Top end is out for machining and I pulled apart and inspected the bottom end, put it back together and installed it. I was wondering how to prime the oil injection system before starting the engine. I read that most people just put extra lube in the crank case and do the summerize feature but I feel like theres got to be a better way and a way to check theres oil moving in the lines. Would it be stupid to jump 12 volts to that electric oil pump? Also I want to buy a service manual but the local dealer is useless and cant help, anyone know the best place to get one?

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
If you want to use extra lube, mix it in the gas. Putting it in the crankcase will only foul your plugs as the airflow through the intake to the cylinders will pick up any oil in a hurry.

There should be a way to purge air from the pump. Not sure on the skidoo models, but the Cat and Polaris pumps have a screw bleeder for that purpose. But there still could be air in the lines from the pump to where the oil is injected. Maybe one of the skidoo guys can weigh in...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here is where you can get a digital manual. Scroll down the page to the 2015 model. They were the same in 2016. BRP shop manuals have gotten real complicated. There were three different ones for my 2021 ACE 600. They don't make one per model like they used to.

SkiDoo Snowmobile Manuals (brpmanuals.com)

I do not have an E Tec, so I am no help on the oil pump. I still have the older carb model with a mechanical oil pump that uses a bleed screw.

Agree with Dan. Just mix up some 50:1 in the gas until you know the oil pump is working. It is better to run extra oil in the gas anyway after a rebuild. If not, I am pretty sure the dealer can reset the computer so it thinks it is in break in mode like it was when the engine is new. That puts extra oil in the gas.

·
Registered
2004 Summit 800
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is where you can get a digital manual. Scroll down the page to the 2015 model. They were the same in 2016. BRP shop manuals have gotten real complicated. There were three different ones for my 2021 ACE 600. They don't make one per model like they used to.

SkiDoo Snowmobile Manuals (brpmanuals.com)

I do not have an E Tec, so I am no help on the oil pump. I still have the older carb model with a mechanical oil pump that uses a bleed screw.

Agree with Dan. Just mix up some 50:1 in the gas until you know the oil pump is working. It is better to run extra oil in the gas anyway after a rebuild. If not, I am pretty sure the dealer can reset the computer so it thinks it is in break in mode like it was when the engine is new. That puts extra oil in the gas.
Yea I was going to get them to do that break in reset to help the new top end. I don't think oil in the gas would help at all though, the injectors spray right into the cylinder so it wouldnt do anything for the bottom end and im not sure if the injection system would have problems running premix. As for the manuals, the counter boy didnt know if I only needed one or all three and to buy all 3 woulda been 3-400 bucks, screw that. Maybe ill call up a mech at the dealer and see if they can give me an idea of whats involved.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yea I was going to get them to do that break in reset to help the new top end. I don't think oil in the gas would help at all though, the injectors spray right into the cylinder so it wouldnt do anything for the bottom end and im not sure if the injection system would have problems running premix. As for the manuals, the counter boy didnt know if I only needed one or all three and to buy all 3 woulda been 3-400 bucks, screw that. Maybe ill call up a mech at the dealer and see if they can give me an idea of whats involved.
Yea, now that I think about it, extra oil in the fuel will not help the bottom end. I was still thinking of the carb model. You will need to do the break in reset on the computer.

For the manuals, have them look at the description for the manual when they are looking at it on the computer. My dealer ordered the wrong one of the 3 the first time. They looked closer and got the right one for my engine type. They were great and took the wrong one back. Luckly that was the expensive one!

I got the digital one for my Summit Sport. It is the same manual as the print one, just not on paper.

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
I see. Never had one, I know that grease is stupid expensive, though ;)

So where does the oil come from to lube the inner four bearings? If it's like most two-strokes, it's introduced with the gas and air and drawn in through the air horns into the crankcase on the upstroke, then shoved into the cylinder on the downstroke through the transfer ports. Is that engine different? My 600 and 700 have 4 fuel injectors that inject the fuel into the air stream, but not into the cylinder. My 800 has two; same thing. Just curious how Skidoo does things.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Skidoo etecs conserve oil by direct lubricating of the key spots. "Oil injection pump bleeding is done with BUDS" From the service manual. Oil pump is electronic.

·
Registered
2004 Summit 800
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see. Never had one, I know that grease is stupid expensive, though ;)

So where does the oil come from to lube the inner four bearings? If it's like most two-strokes, it's introduced with the gas and air and drawn in through the air horns into the crankcase on the upstroke, then shoved into the cylinder on the downstroke through the transfer ports. Is that engine different? My 600 and 700 have 4 fuel injectors that inject the fuel into the air stream, but not into the cylinder. My 800 has two; same thing. Just curious how Skidoo does things.
Mine has oil injection ports directly into the crankcase that lube the bottom end with an electric pump, my 2003 summit 800 was the same except it was carbed and the oil pump was driven off the water pump shaft which is gear driven by the crank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts