Snowmobile Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes it does matter, one comes from the fuel tank, one to the crankcase from the pump and then one out to each carburetor. Just copy the same from the old pump. The ONLY difference between the pump you have now and the one I posted is that hose that goes on the bottom big elbow now goes on the top big elbow. Other then that the routing is the same. Just copy it over, take a picture if you need be or move them over one at a time with the pumps next to each other.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before I order the pump I wanted to tell you that it only runs on choke and you need to put gas down the cylinders to get it to fire up. Are these sines of needing a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
If the pump is not able to pull vacuum then yeah it won't run, it won't allow gas to get to the carburetors then. I.E it only will fire when pouring some gas down the cylinders. Those pumps are not known for lasting 27 years. So it isn't shocking it may not be pulling vacuum. I would also change all the fuel lines as well while I am at it. Thing is you want to know when the carburetors were cleaned, when a pump was put in and when the lines were changed. I would also replace the fuel filter as well with a clear in-line fuel filter. Lots of them out there for a couple bucks. Those clog up over time as well. Could be a combination of both. For what a pump and filter costs and fuel line...when I buy a new snowmobile like that I replace all of those items regardless so as I said..I know when they were done vs well maybe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I havent messed with in a wile. I jest tryed to start it up. It started after about 25 pulls, ran fore a wile then died like before. Then I took the air box off and notest thet ther was fule coming out of the carbs and pudding up in the air box. Would this mean that the fule pump is good and I have a carb problem? Also if I open the hood before it dies I can see the fule in the lines and and does not look like it is starving for fule.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I would reclean the carburetors along with would still put a new fuel filter, lines on it, make sure the line inside the tank is there with a filter on the end of it. It sounds like the needle/seats are bad possibly. If they are still the original ones they can go bad. So I would look into that as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is no fule filter on the end of the line in the gas tank. Shood in replace the oil lines as well? Also when I cleaned the carbs I could not get the pin out to remove the neadel and seet to clean them.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well it isn't a fuel filter it is a small filter that screens stuff and it should have one like this in the link below. That fuel line in the tank must be Tygon, I'm betting the fuel line rotted and that filter fell off and is in the tank someplace along with the clamp. I would be draining that gas tank and replacing it and see if that filter is in there if not you should order one as it stops a lot of stuff from going into the fuel filter as well. Idk on the pin, I've always had them just pop right out, maybe a very very small pin puncher. The oil lines hardly ever go bad it is the fuel lines that end up getting hard, leaking and breaking after years of use.

or

Polaris OEM Part number was 7052037 which is the 1st link but I have used the 2nd link as well. Both work great and do their job as they should.

Try spraying it with a small amount of Penetrating Oil 1st and then try to remove the pin or use the long nose pliers after doing so. It is probably just stuck in there from all the use and lack of maintenance over the years from ethanol gas. Pin Punch I am talking about what is below. I have a ton of them someplace at the parents house because of stuff like this. Always good to have around. I would just be very careful if you end up using those. I would try the 1st part before you can still order those tomorrow if it doesn't work and get them for Monday

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
Some of those pins that hold the float need a bit of persuasion to get them out. I use a small nail set and a very small 2 oz ball peen hammer to tap them out. If you look closely, it probably only goes in and out one way, so make sure not to try to drive it the wrong way. And be gentle. If you break the bracket that holds the float, you get to find a different carb! (Ask me how I know this...)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yep very true. I use one of those small gun punch sets when doing it as they have some very small ones in there just for that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just cleaned both carbs reel good and got the pin out by using a small drill bit as a punch. It still does the same damm bog and die thing. There is a little hose barb that sticks out the side of each carb with no hose on it. What is this for? Could it be causing it to die?
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are no vent lines going from carb to air box would that make it not run? I can take a picture to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can I just use ruguler fule line to replace the line thet goes to from the fule pump to the crankcace.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes that is fine in the engine area, tygon for in the gas tank. Also check and see if the air box has any nipples on it, if so that is where the vent lines go from the carburetor. And please post the pictures as well so we can help more in that area.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi everyone I got my sled running perfect. I brought the carburetors to a mechanic and replace the inline fuel filter. There is no where to connect the little eighth inch lines off the carb on my airbox I talked to the mechanic about it and he told me to just run them somewhere away from the motor. Today I was changing out the rest of the lines on my fuel pump and I pulled one of the lines off and snapped off one of the pipes on the fuel pump. Do you think it's worth trying to JB Weld a pipe back on. I could order one off Amazon but that would be another 10 days and if I can just stay be well that I really like to.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I would replace the pump. Never seen one break off like that but I have heard of it happening. I would run the 1/8" lines up through your handlebars that is where some people run them that way they are out of the way and can't get melted or cause an issue.

I have Amazon Prime it pays for itself when you need stuff, 2 days and it is there. Also check locally at your powersports dealers. Those pumps were used by a lot of different makers. Just make sure you get the Mikuni style dual fuel pump. Most likely it will have the crankcase hose on top instead of it on the bottom like yours is now.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts