Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 2011 Skidoo 800r renegade and it came with a 1.5 inch track extra and wanted to replace the 1.25 ripsaw on it with it but the original owner said that the 1.5 track has wear in the middle from a shock coming loose and wearing through the rubber. The cords aren’t ripped and it’s only about an inch wide. Would i be able to run this track or would i have to repair it first? Just not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Can't repair tracks except for the clips of course, a picture of the damage would help the people here to determine if it is usable for the season

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Well I should say tracks can have their clips replaced as they sell those all the time. But the rubber part of it no that can't be fixed. Idk why I said that then again I am wiped from moving snow and trying to do my own repairs the last few days,lol.

Yeah a picture will help determine how bad it really is. Also you can't go wrong with the Ice Attack Camso Tracks. Built in studs, all in all a nice track. Most likely will go to that when I replace mine once it is due.

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
Some track damage can be repaired, but it is very expensive to do so and would only make sense if the track was something very expensive or very rare. Most snowmobile tracks do not fit in that category. Here's a link to a company that does it, maybe send them the pics and get some idea of the cost.

If there is cord showing where the wear occured, that will allow water to get into the core of the track. When that water freezes and swells up, that makes the damage even greater, leading to quicker failure. A small spot may be acceptable, but it sounds like you have damage the total circumference on the inside of the track. I would think it's time to start looking for a different track...

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
Ya, that's exactly the damage I was thinking of. You can see the cords have been damaged, pretty much the whole circumference of the track. I would definitely be putting something else on there soon.

But hey, call that company and see what the experts say. Maybe you will be surprised! It can't hurt, that's for sure. I'm just thinking shipping both ways and down time while the repairs are done may make you want to just get something on there so you can ride this season!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, that's exactly the damage I was thinking of. You can see the cords have been damaged, pretty much the whole circumference of the track. I would definitely be putting something else on there soon.

But hey, call that company and see what the experts say. Maybe you will be surprised! It can't hurt, that's for sure. I'm just thinking shipping both ways and down time while the repairs are done may make you want to just get something on there so you can ride this season!
Yeah there’s a different track on now that is a 1.25 inch ripsaw this was a track that came with it just wanted some other opinions on whether or not I could run it. Thanks guys, gonna just scrap it.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I would cut it in half and use it on a trailer as stud protection. That is what we did for our trailer & snowmobiles. I would cut down the paddles some and then do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts