Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first sled. A 1999 Polaris Indy Trail Touring 488 Fan. With 1500 miles It has stock metal skis with the carbides worn down to the skegs. I am looking for advice on what skegs/carbides to replace these with. The sled has a 15"x133.5"x.82 track with about 85ea. 1” studs.

Being a novice I don't want to invest in the latest and greatest hot Skis on the the market, just something to replace the worn out carbides.

My main purpose is an ice fishing sled. One up,(200lbs). I do not plan on pulling a sled but might pull a medium Jet Sled sometimes. I do not bring a shelter. Jus an electric auger, traps, tackle, fish finder food etc. I fish a lot on a small lake in Massachusetts so I seldom go more than a mile or two at a time, just half mile for the parking lot then whole hop. We oftrn have glare ice or a few inches of melted re frozen snow pack. I do not expect to be trail, powder or off trail riding.

My main question is how long do I want the carbides 4” or 8” or ?

Any suggestions welcome

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If you expect at all to go trail riding even for a little bit then 6" if you plan on just going to the ice shack then 4" will do okay.

If you ever expect to go trail riding then go for a set of plastic skis with 6" carbides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank For the prompt reply. I never say never so sounds like 6 inch might be best for me. Yeah I don’t want to invest in new skis until I run this thing around for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.