Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1996 Ultra SP and I going through the whole sled. Adding grease to the jack shaft and any where else I can find a zerk fitting.

I also want to change the crank case oil but I'm not sure how to drain it. Fuel filter will be replaced, also is there a crank case filter that needs to be replaced??

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not to familiar with that sled, but , if it's like any other sled ( until recent years) it's a 2-stroke.....No oil/filter to change!:confused:
If it's a 4-stroke then I have'nt a clue.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mudflap64 said:
I'm not to familiar with that sled, but , if it's like any other sled ( until recent years) it's a 2-stroke.....No oil/filter to change!:confused:
If it's a 4-stroke then I have'nt a clue.

he said crank case, not engine oil. So yes there is a problem for him. He needs to change the crank case oil, somehting I dont know how to do myself.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking from UNDERNEATH the sled find the chaincase area. You will find that the belly pan has a circular hole in it. About 1" up is a allen head flush mount screw that threads into the bottom of the chaincase. Be careful, you will more than likely need a metric allen head driver or wrench to loosen this screw. If you use a SAE size you can strip the inside (part that the allen head driver slides into) out of the screw. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a crank case filter if so where is it .

·
Registered
570 Posts
What in the world are you guys talking about! Does anyone know.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i think they mean chaincase, no filter but you drain it just like that guy said a couple before me, and if you didnt know its on the right side of the sled

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pre- 98' I don't think you'll find what accobra66 was talking about. With the chaincase just pull the 4 mounting bolts & make a mess... Its only like 12-14oz or something like that, so just have a couple shop rags available. Polaris was smokin' crack with that design...
There is no filter or pump with the chaincase. Just oil sloppin' around in there.

If your looking for a crankcase filter. With a 2 stroke moor it is a dry environment. Nothing is but air in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
accobra66 is correct there is a allen bolt drain plug.

Thank Guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
That maintenance is supposed to be done once a year (Polaris). If you guys see, that oil is dirtier than hell...someone told me it was due to the stock "powder" gears.

Jon

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 94 Indy Storm Has no drain plug just open case and make a mees out of things
the dip stick should have a magnetic end to pickup any shavings if yours dosent have one get one

:) :)

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
I use a suction gun about the size of a grease gun to suck most of the oil out of the case before opening it, that way there is a LOT less mess to clean up... you definitely want to remove the cover so you can take a look at the gears and chain, some times you find surprises!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts