Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would cause the clutch belt to gouge out the drive pulley sheave. Instead of a smooth surface on the the sheave face, there are a series of areas where the belt appears to have remained stationary, as if the secondary clutch did not want to spin freely and gave a lot of resistance while the drive pulley spun around and gouged itself and also made the belt sides shinney and slick. So I got another primary/drive clutch and installed on my 97 mach z 800. (Did not install a new secondary clutch.

What would cause this to happen? Bad bearings or a wheel inside the track not spinning correctly? Where should I be looking, inside the chaincase? Chaincase chain too tight?

I just rode the sled for 35 miles and parked it in the garage and mostly seemed to run just fine, however I don't want to have to keep replacing the drive clutch every couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i think you have answered your own question? the chain case is the second place to start, the first thing ,i ask ? i know this is a stupid question ,but , have you drove it with the park brake engaged?if not check your chain case :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts