Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got some plastic skis this weekend for my 1993 Polaris xcr 440 and I cannot get the steel skis off. I took the cotter pin out got the nut off and the bolt spins but will not come out, I beat it with a hammer a bunch and this thing wont budge. Whats the best thing to do to get it off? I heard that the bracket that the bolt goes threw can rust together after years thats why it wont come out hitting it with a hammer. Whats the best thing I should do to get these skis off so i can put my plastic ones on? Any info much appreciated, Thanks Tim

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would try lifting the sled off the ground to get pressure off the ski's, then try twisting the bolt with a rachet while hitting it with a hammer..hopes this helps

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
When whacking the bolt with a hammer, you take a chance of mushrooming the threads. To avoid that, use a nut flush with the end and hit the nut/bolt. Don't use the castle nut, they break easily and are spendy little items. Try spraying some penetrating oil in there too. Once you get it out, you will need to smooth the bolt, then lube everything with grease so corrosion and rust doesn't do this to you again.

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
I always use PB Blaster for freeing up corroded or rusted bits. Spray it on and let it soak. Saved me lots of skin working on my Jeep!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts