Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 polaris indy trail. This is the first snowmobile that i've ridin since I was a little kid. I took it for a ride the other day, it was making a loud noise, almost like a clicking noise. Then the belt snapped, I changed the belt and it seemed to cure the problem, then the noise came back. Some people told me that I need to adjust the track, so I played around with that today with no luck. I found out that if I sit towards the rear of the sled then the noise takes a little longer to start. Does weight come into play when adjusting the track? Does anyone know what else this noise could be and how I can fix it?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
YOU COULD HAVE A BEARING IN THE DRIVELINE GOING BAD, CHECK ALL BEARINGS IN THE JACKSHAFT AND DRIVE AXLE AND CHECK THE CHAIN TENSION, ALSO CHECK THE IDLER WHEELS TO MAKE SURE THE BEARINGS ARE OK THERE TOO. HOPE THIS HELPS

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I check the chain tension? It almost sounds like a chain is skipping on a sprocket. I have never worked on a snowmobile before, but I have rebuilt many 4-wheelers, dirtbike's and cars so I have a little clue about mechanics. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chain tension was loose, I tightend it up now the noise is gone. Is there suppost to be any oil going to that chain?? Also, does anyone have any links to a website that describes how a snowmobile driveline works? I'd like to get a better understanding before I get stuck out on the trails.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
THERE SHOULD BE ABOUT 1 PINT OF GEAR/CHAINCASE OIL ON THE CASE A BASIC RUN DOWN OF HOW THE DRIVELINE WORKS IS
POWER IS TRANSMITTED FROM THE ENGINE TO THE SECONDARY DRIVE CLUTCH WHICH IN TURN IS CONNECTED TO THE JACKSHAFT, THE JACKSHAFT RUNS ACROSS THE FRAME TO THE TOP OF THE CHAINCASE AND THE UPPER SPROCKET ATTACHES TO IT THE SPROCKET ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CHAINCASE IS ATTACHED TO THE DRIVE SHAFT WHICH IN TURN DRIVES THE TRACK. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP ALL BEARING GREASED
AND OIL IN THE CHAINCASE AND CHAIN TENSIONED PROPERLY.
I WOULD SUGGEST GETTING A CLYMER SERVICE MANUAL FROM A DEALER OR TRY WWW.DENNISKIRK.COM, THE MANUAL WILL BE THE BEST $40.00 YOU WILL SPEND. HOPE THIS HELPS.

GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts