Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ridden around Central Oregon recently? If so, how much snow is there on the trails? Are conditions good enough to ride right now?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have no idea, but I hope for you that its not like central Pa We only have an inch or two. But it sure is cold. About 12 degrees. I hope you and I get some good riding soon.

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
They have been riding around Bachelor for about a month now, Diamond Lake has snow, I have not heard regarding Paulina. South Central Oregon, Lake of the Woods is marginal down low, but good up high. Medicine Lake was the same. Here's a link to Oregon Snotel sites, they can give you snow depth in areas where you may be looking at riding. The rain whacked us pretty hard, but the last couple of days has added snow above 5000 feet.

Clickable Map of Oregon SNOTEL Sites | Oregon NRCS

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info BC_Dan. I have been checking the SnoTel site daily and we did get a lot of new snow last night. The problem for me is the only SnoTel sight that is even close to me is Three Creeks and that's not really very close to where I'll ride. I also check the pass cams, Mt Bachelor's web site, Sunriver weather cams, etc.

I know there is 2'-3' in most places. Just wasn't sure if that was actually good coverage on the trails. Plus, I have no idea how much snow Paulina has and that's where I really want to go on Saturday. We will probably just drive up there and find out ourselves. I wish the lodge up there had a web cam or something to show snow depth. Heck, I have two web cams at my Sunriver house so I can check snow depth at my house there!

I'm just getting back into snowmobiling after a loooong layoff so I'm basically new to this.

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
Have you tried calling them? There is a phone number listed on their web page. After the rains we got, I wouldn't make the drive unless I was sure there was snow, pretty much anything below about 5000 feet down here went to none.

Paulina Lake Lodge | Home

541-536-2240

I really like Paulina, we spent the weekend there a couple of years ago. Lots of good riding for all riders, whether you like the trails or like to take on a few hills. If you are a climber, wear a beacon!! There was an avalanche that took the life of a snowmobiler there last year. (ok, off my soap box now ;) )

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't tried calling them but that's not a bad idea (assuming they can answer my question with specific snow depth numbers rather than just saying "yeah, we have snow"). They are higher up than the snow park. They may have 4' of snow at the lake but the snow park lower down the mountain might only have 12". Who knows?

I do know this....
The Three Creeks Snotel at 5,690' reports 30". The Ten Mile snow park at Paulina is at 5,560'. One would assume the snow depths would be similar. BUT, Paulina is quite a bit east of Three Creeks (and the Cascade range) so they usually have less snow.

The good news? Paulina is only a 25 minute drive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, we went to Paulina Lake yesterday. I would say there was about 24"-30" of snow at the Ten Mile snow park. Probably 4'-5' on top. Plenty of snow with nothing exposed on the trails we rode on. But, we only rode on the main road and the road up to the peak.

This was our first snowmobile outing in 15 years. We had a new trailer and a new sled. Both worked great. The only surprise for us was the road to the snow park wasn't plowed and the trail up to the peak wasn't either. We arrived at the snow park at around 9:00AM. Not only were there no other tracks on the road up but there were only two trailers in the parking lots. We thought it owuld be packed.

The trail to Paulina Peak had so many drifts we only went about 85% of the way up. Our Artic Cat TZ1 sled is not good in deep unpacked snow so I decided to turn around near the top. The snow was just too deep and drifts too big. Again, I was really surprised the trail wasn't groomed.

Anyway, there is plenty of snow at Paulina right now!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I just wish I would have had the right sled for the conditions. I could easily have made it to the top on a lighter single person sled (with longer track). But, the TZ1 Turbo weighs 10,000lbs and I had my wife on the back. I knew we would get stuck trying to turn around (and we did). But, I brought a shovel knowing we would get stuck with this sled and we just took our time digging out. We both laughed about it while digging out and enjoyed the scenery.

I probably should have turned around sooner but there just was no good place to do that. I was so close to the top and I know there are spots to turn around on top. I wanted to try to make it up there. I made the right decision to stop though. The trail had really turned into one big snow drift and I didn't want to scare my wife since it was her first snowmobile trip.

I will say this, the TZ1 Turbo has a TON of power and the turbo sounds really cool when it spins up :)

The heated seats and hand grips worked great. My wife was toasty warm and very comfortable with the back rest. She said she could have ridden all day. That was awesome news!!!

Fun day overall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts