Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to find out what kind of plastic the hood is made out of so I can use the correct plastic welding rod to fix it. Was hoping someone might be able to let me no thanks.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Depends on the sled... but in my experience, most cowls are fiberglass, not plastic.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
hoods are fiberglass, i had to fix mine, just put a piece of sheet metal to hold it togher, put that on with rivits, then re fiberglass it, grind it/ sand it, then repaint it. thats what my dad did with mine and he used to do auto body repairs so he know what he's doing.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I like the fiberglass cloth. You can get a real strong patch, without drilling holes. Sets in a few minutes... can't go wrong. Just don't get the resin on your hands. It's hard to get off...;)

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
not all are fiber glass, what year is your sled? if it is newer they are all made of lexan.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
How new is "newer"? My 1980, and my 2000's, are all fiberglass. Lexan sound cheezy... not very strong, but lightweight, I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For Specifics On Fiberglass Repair Go Here

This site has a great bulletin boad about half way down the page. Go on there and ask away, they are auto repair pros and know how to fix fiberglass ect. Just remember you will have to rough up the inside of the hood to make a big patch area or it won't hold. The rougher the better. Those fiberglass patch kits at Wallyworld and auto zone work as good as any. If you have to glue it together because there is no surface area large enough to use glass mat they do make some hi tec bonding agents by Fusor. Pricy but strong enough to bond panels on cars at the factory. Finish any low spots using Fiberglass Bondo(green) not the cheap **** for $4/qt ( the pink stuff) . Sand with 80 grit to shape finish with 220 wet or dry paper , prime and paint with good paint. Don't use the Wallyworld $2 / can stuff . You can get good stuff at a dealer or maby auto resto supply that comes in a spray can. Should be good as new,( nearly). If you have any places need sealing up 3M makes white sealand adhesive called 5200, Home depot or marine dealers ect. They use it to seal holes drilled in the hull of fiberglass boats and its as strong as the stuff holding the windshield of your car.
Before getting into the figerglass thing do check that it really is fiberglass and not plastic like the hood of my Z24. If you don't see any fiberglass matt in the edges of the crack it is plastic and better fixed with those FUSOR products from the auto repair store. Do it right as a skidoo hood is real thin, supported badly and gets a lot of vibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts