Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if these two baffles under the hood of my used 97 F/C Supersport are oriented correctly? It looks like the lower one is mounted upside down. I have been having overheating issues. Are these baffle/deflectors even needed? Thanks for all help.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
548 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would agree. That bottom one is installed with screws instead of rivets. Its been off the sled at some point.
top one uses rivets because it is attached to the hood stiffener. The bottom one uses screws and screws into the holes that hold in the snow screens.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ Exactly when installing those screens as not all Polaris Snowmobiles came with them as they are were an additional accessory you buy for them around 30-60 dollars and in different colors depending on what model you have. So some have rivets some have screws that came in those packages. I added them to my '93 Indy 440 L/C in a red version and they came with a huge package of screws with them, washers and a couple rivets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent info from everyone. So would I get better airflow if I just removed the screen and deflectors?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Typically the trail machines didn't come with the screens as factory installed components. All of my machines have been SKS, RMK deep snow models and came with those screens to prevent too much snow from entering belly pan and possibly getting onto clutches.

·
Super Moderator
18,333 Posts
The screens also keep the snow from hitting the pipe, too. The best performance on a tuned 2-stroke is with a hot pipe, so if the pipe is cooled down by snow, the engine will be off power for a bit until the pipe warms back up. It's probably not noticeable on a fan engine, but definitely can be an issue on a bigger mountain sled

1 - 12 of 12 Posts