Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I fired up the ol 600 xlt today and darn does she smoke to beat hell. This is my first sled so I really have never fooled much with them. What type of mixture screws on the carburator could possibly be affecting this? I see ones with knobs on the sides of the carbs, I played with those and believe they are just idle mixture screws. I have it idling just fine, but damn does it smoke! I bought this sled from a guy who hadnt had it running for about 2 years, It has fresh gas but the oil is still old, I cant imagine that causing it to smoke, Anything? thanks guys...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I thought of that too but I have had this thing running for quite a while now, I already ran near a full tank through it, still smokin'!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did change them today, they were oily, and this thing SMOKES, im talkin smoke screen thick!! Is there an adjustment for the oil injection system that is causing me to run too rich oil mixture?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Definitely over oiling. I think it can be adjusted where the cable goes into the oil pupm. Anyone else with a Polaris can help here?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ride polaris and the only adjustment on them ar on the cable at the pump. Here is a thought, My wifes vmax was smoking like a hell. and i realised that she was useing a tank of oil to a half tank of fuel.The oil pump got a hole in the diaphram and was oiling at full throttle all the time. Replaced the pump and runs like a champ.I can actually start it in the garage again and not get smoked out.LOL dont know if this will help or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
question and 2 answers for you:

Q:have you started it in the past month or two b4 this?

A1: If not dont worry about it polaris has a tendancy that if you dont run them then the oil goes down and sits on the piston and then when you go to start it then it smokes a whole lot.

A2: Still dont worry because most snowmobiles have to warm up and run for a lil b4 they stop smokeing its just part of the sport.

Fixing this all just let it run at idle outside for about 15-20 minutes and i bet you it still smoeks but not as much. dont mess with the oil pump mixture because if you losen the cable then when you have full throttle then your not getting as much oil as you need and youll end up burning up your pistons. sometimes this wont stop untill you take it out and run t for about 15 kinda hard. I have a 1988 indy 400 and this does it becuase at idle you kinda sometimes get to much oil in the engine and it also has alot to due with the kind of oil you run make sure you run 2 cycle oil not car or four cycle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
forgot to read your first post its because its been sitting for two years my snowmobile and quad first did that untill i got oil going into the engine and the walls wear back and and aren't sticking as much any snowmobile does that.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
roughrider said:

A1: If not dont worry about it polaris has a tendancy that if you dont run them then the oil goes down and sits on the piston and then when you go to start it then it smokes a whole lot.

It shouldn't do this. If it does the oil pump diaphragm is leaking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dont worry about it is just because it has been sitting like i said my quad and snowmobile both did that. just let it run for a lil and it should be good its just burning that bad stuff that built up on the wall and starting to get the oil back. Also if it was fogged thats going to happen!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts