Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(sorry for so many threads lately)

i was reading that a high idle could indicate that a sled is running lean. When my F5 started acting up it was idling very high when I came to a stop, at times would not shut down when I turned the key off etc. I was told the only thing wrong was the snapped power valve cable and they were both seized so I had that taken care of.

I notice it is still idling between 2000-3000 which is odd for this sled.. Very briefly it will drop down to 1600-1900 which is what it use to idle at consistently before it acted up. I'm wondering if perhaps this could mean it isn't getting enough oil or running too hot for some reason?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Somebody just told me that 120 PSI sounds like the engine is blown up. Any comments on that? I thought it was nothing in itself to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
If the idle goes down when you apply the choke, suspect that it's a lean condition. If so, it's probably the pilot jet or fuel circuit to the pilot jet. Those are small and are easily plugged up. With the engine idling, I would also spray the PTO crankcase seal and the carb boot adapters with carb cleaner, WD40, or even engine starter. If you get a change in idle, that would indicate a leak and repair would be required. 120 is a little low, but not horrible. That would tell me there's a bit of wear on the rings. Like steve said, summer is a great time to refresh, and it's always cheaper to do that before stuff breaks... but if that isn't in the budget, running another season at 120psi would not be bad, especially on a smaller engine like the F5. JMHO, mind you.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
I agree 120 isn't that bad but now is the time to go threw it!
Pistons and a complete gasket set is only about $200

1 - 5 of 5 Posts