Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to all....just got a 2002 yamaha venture 600 for my wife last year after trading my harley for a sled and some cash so the whole family can ride. I want to replace the hyfax on the venture and was wondering if I have to drop the suspension or can I do it right on sleds. I appreciate your insight..
kurt mangos
"mathman"
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
you can do it on the sled. you need to get the rear of the sled in the air if possible, or you can lean it to one side and then the other.

at the front of the rails where the hyfax ends you will find a phillips screw. use a good quality #3 screwdriver. these can strip easy and have loctite on them from the factory. align a track window to access the screw and remove it.

take a punch or long screwdriver and using the hole in the old hyfax, or even the hyfax itself, without hitting the rail, drive the hyfax towards the rear.

line up a track window for the hyfax to exit. once you get enough to get a handhold on, you can just pull it out.

clean the rails, apply some lube like wd-40 or pledge to the new hyfax and the rails and reverse the procedure without the punch or screwdriver. you should be able to push the new ones on most the way. take one of the old hyfax and cut a piece about a foot long to use as a driver to set the new hyfax all the way until the screw hole lines up.

sometimes loosening the track helps, i always do. if your track is aligned good now, simply note the number of turns you loosen the adjuster nuts for a reference for retightening.

another shortcut for removal is to simply cut the lip off the hyfax and peel them off. again without causing any damage to the rails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! I dropped skid on rev to change....but like to not have to do taht on yammi...will try by jacking up using my come along and get a friend to help....like my wife's venture.....bud rode me home on it 70 miles in tughill when i broke both rear springs on stillwater resevoir....great ride and I'm 225 lbs!
kurt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
someone had tried to change hyfax before and stripped one of the screw. I used my dremel to cut out a section of hyfax from screw to front of hyfax, which allowed hyfax to come out w/out screw. I then took screw out with vise grips. It took me longer than I thought, but mostly bc of screw. wretslin the hyfax thru track went ok, but took some elbow grease for sure. reassembly is def the easiest part....used never sieze and a plastic mallet....and the 6-8 in of hyfax I trimmed to help finish off once through track.
thanks yamadad4
kurt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.