Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, hows it going? My name is Pete, and this is my first post here. I recently purchased a 1972 Ski-Doo TN'T 640, and after working on it for the past 2 months, I have gotten it to were it can run and idle pretty good. In fact, I was riding it 2 days ago and everything sounded good. Now, today, I tried to start it for hours. I checked the key, gas lines. plugs, kill switch, and both carbs have been recently rebuilt. Its getting gas, because I can see it go up the lines. Does anyone have any ideas, or see anything obvious I may have overlooked?

Oh, and by the way, one of the other things I did was change the intake manifold gasket. This is because I could actually see the old gasket stretching out and sticking out, and it looked pretty bad, but it still run ok, it just wouldnt idle. Well I got some gasket material and cut out a measured peice to the right size, put it on tightly, and it still doesnt work. I was wondering, do I have to put on RTV or another type of gasket maker with the gasket material? I had heard that it was supposed to be a dry gasket, but it seems like it should have some of that RTV stuff on it. I have never done this before, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
I like this site a lot, and i look forward to meeting all of you. thanks!
-pete

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I WOULD TRY TO GTHE ORIGINAL GASKETS THOSE OLD SKI-DOO
WERE PRETTY TEMPRIMENTAL ANY DOO DEALER SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THEM. BTW WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND IT'S NICE TO SEE THOSE OLD DOO'S BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE. AND I LIVE 50 MILES EAST OF YOU IN CLYDE.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Was it even offering? The ignition could be your problem if it wasnt even offering, gaskets are a good idea as stated before but also i think that you might want to check that your plugs arent fouled. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey 01MXZ, nice meeting you. Is it as cold in Clyde as it is here? We tried to order the original gaskets, but they were hard to find and we were told that this would work. There also doesnt seem to be many Ski Doo dealers around here, and the shops that do have Ski Doo parts usually dont have anything that goes back far enough for a '72.
We actually did have it out and running yesterday so I think the gasket problem has been solved, now we are trying to get the twin carbs ajusted to the right positions.
FormulaMx, you were right the plugs didnt look too good after they were taken out. They actually were really oily, not burned or reddish in color.
Thanks for the help guys, talk to you later
-pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts