Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I looked through all of the sled tips and problems and did not find my exact issue. I'm pretty new to sledin, but I like to do all of my own maintenance on everything else I own.

I just bought a 97 MXZ 670 and the guy before me did not do a whole of preventive maintenance, so I'm trying to get caught up on some things.

The sled hesitates really bad right at take off when the clutch engages. It really jerks you around. If I punch it, I don't really seem to notice it. It's when I try to take off slow or trying to cruise through trails at low rpm. It's kind of like some one driving a car that does not know how to use a clutch, like in the movies.

So, are there any common problems with these? The belt looks good, but I have not dug into the clutches yet. I hope I gave enough detail, if not please let me know.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re Hesitation at takeoff

Btw the sled has 3500 mi and twin Power inc pipes with stock can, if that helps.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
If any one can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.
I would start with cleaning the carbs and make sure the jetting is right for your area. Also since it has twin pipes on it, it will probably require that the jetting be change if it hasn't already. After cleaning the carbs make sure they are adjusted properly. Once you do all this then you will have to play with the settings do to the fact that you have the pipes you will have to pull your plugs to check them you want a tan colour. you can find lots of information in the sled tech tips. BC Dan has a good article.. Good luck

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
possible that prev owner didnt rejet or
reclutch when pipes were put on??
just a thought?:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re

Thanks guys, I'll start with that and see what happens. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would start with cleaning the carbs like stated above. If, as you said, not much preventative maintenance was done, it may not be a bad idea to pull both clutches and clean them as well. It's easy to do and can make a big difference if they are clogged with belt dust and crap.

·
2011 800 Pro R Rush Retro
260 Posts
i modded my xcr700 and now use dial a jets....i now have a hesitation on take off too...if i give her then lay off and give her again its goes away,or i need to do a rollong start and its ok...if i readjust the dial a jets it goes away too..i would check your jetting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts