Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have an '07 Yamaha Phazer FX with one doozy of an issue. I am receiving code 33, Faulty or Open Circuit on #1 Cylinder Coil. Code 34 is the same problem, but with the #2 Cylinder Coil. Well I have tested the coil, and it tests fine, if I put the #1 coil in the #2 Cylinder it will fire.

I have tried a second ECU and I get the same code, so that pretty much rules out the ECU.

I replaced the sub-harness that goes btwn the injectors and the coils in order to rule that out.
So that pretty much leaves the main wiring harness. I would also like to add that if I put the sled into diagnostic mode, I can get the #2 Cylinder Coil to fire, but not the Cyl. #1 Coil. I figured putting it into diagnostic mode rules out other sensors (Cam Shaft, Crank Position, etc.) since the engine is not
running. So I'm back to the main harness. I have tested continuity btwn the coil and the ECU (Orange wire for those of looking at the wiring diagram in the manual.) and it tests fine. I also checked the other wires from the coils to the ECU for shorts and none showed up.

So before I spend the cash for a new harness, not to mention the labor involved in removing and replacing, has anybody else come across this problem? Is there something else I can check?

I must also mention that prior to receiving code 33, I had replaced the starter because it failed. I'm wondering if the starter took something else out with it when it fried. :dunno:

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you found a solution too your problem? I aslo have a Phazar mountain 2007 but this one gives a code 34 for the rh cylinder. I have checked verything you have. In the process of tearing down the wiring harness for inspection. How many miles on your unit? Mine has 1065.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey merk,

Nope, still haven't found the problem, and on top of it we get one of the biggest snow storms in history! Meanwhile my sled sits in my garage looking like Skelator.

So I guess I'm leaning towards buying a new harness, and maybe I can get it installed before all before all this snow melts!

Check out the other post from budman1000, he says he has had wiring issues.

Have you had any luck with your Code 34? What solution are you leaning towards?

Praying to the Snow Gods, :confused:

4STUNT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:dunno::dunno:

Well just did an OHM test on the wires btwn the ECU and the coils. Yamaha dealer said they should be less than 1.0, well I got .3, so WTF! This doesn't help my bad harness theory!! Unless of course there is something else shorting out the ......that doesn't even make

Quick side answers:

Merc, I forgot to mention I have approx. 1300 miles on my Phazer. Any luck tracing your harness?

Ultrafrozen, I have reversed the coils in diag mode and I get the same thing. Basically, I can get either cylinder to fire (but not both) depending on which wire I hook to the ECU. And likewise if I swap coils with the cylinder that is currently firing, I can get that coil to fire I've replaced the sub-harness with a new harness from Yamaha, I've swapped out ECU's with an ECU I got on Ebay for $50 and I get the same results, same codes, so the only unknown is the harness. :dunno:

I guess if I listen to myself talk, and I deduct that there are 2 main connections btwn the ECU and spark plugs, and I can get one of those connections to work with either coil, with either ECU, with new plugs, and with a new sub harness, the only variable is the main wiring harness.

Right?????:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started to check the unwrap the wiring harness. Made it to the oil tank. Now 2 more feet to the ECU. Your kill switch knob wouldnt happen to be broken off? I was reading in the Yamaha service book that you should check the ignition cut off circuit. Mine was broken off the top and was also broken inside. I have replaced it, havent had a chance to test, still working on the harness. The strange thing is after I have it in the shop. I can start it again and it will run fine any where from 30 to 160 miles before it acts up again.
I will keep you informed on my progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
4stunt Have you checked your ground harness connection, its a yellow plug by your oil tank. There is a tec tip from yamaha. If the ground connections are not melted or deformed there is a extra ground harness you can put on for free. If it has damaged any other part of the harness Yamaha will give you a new harness. Have you also checked the pins on your plugs to make sure that when you connect to the coil they dont push out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi merk, just thought I would touch base and see how it's coming with your Phazer.

In regards to your previous post, "check the kill switch". I guess my thinking on that is if there was a problem with the kill switch, wouldn't that keep both cylinders from firing? Or is it possible that a malfunction in the switch would let one cyl. fire and not the other?

I'm going to look closely at my ground today, bad grounds do mysterious things, so maybe there is something going on there.

Thanks for all the ideas, keep em coming! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi 4stunt did you every get your Phazar running?
I finally figured mine out. Had to work on it at -24C in order to duplicate the problem. It turned out to be the sub harness to the coils and injectors. There must be a partially broken wire aprox two inchs from the coil plug. When you move it up or done in that area you can throw code 34. I had inspected that wireing before and it looked fine and a continuty test was done and it passed, but that was when the sled was warm. In the cold it did not pass the test. So we are looking for a used harness or might have to buy a new one. I hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts