Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I have a 96 600 Vmax since new. I did not use it at all last winter, and only drove her around the neighborhood for 10 minutes during winter of 2000-2001. She wouldn't start (pull start only) this past weekend and I was thinking I had bad gas. However, before I started to pull carbs and tank to clean out, I checked for spark. I bought new plugs and tried to start, and after 3 - 4 pulls the plugs were wet. I checked for spark and NADA, ziltch. Is it possible the coil went bad just sitting? How about magneto, do these get corroded? Any Yammy gurus out there with any suggestions -- short of towing her to a dealer for diagnosis?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you haven't already, check the simple stuff. Make sure the kill switch isn't down, etc. I'm not sure if yours has the switches in the carbs that will kill the ignition, but if you do, you may want to by pass it to see if thats the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked Usual Stuff

Everything seems intact. I'm thinking it's either my coil or something's died in the magnito part of the engine. Question (because I can't remember) with a non-battery, pull-start only sled that's running "normally", when I'm pulling the rope with the key on, should the headlight/taillight be dimly lighting? In other words, if I'm pulling the rope and I see the headlight start to glow, I can pretty much eliminate the magnito, just get a new coil and hold my breath. On the other hand, if pulling the rope doesn't light the headlight, this test will not help me. Any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts