Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 polaris xcr triple that im replacing the driveshaft,bearings and all related components. Well when i pulled the exhaust off i noticed antifreeze spilled out of a couple of the cylinders. Then i noticed coolant dripping off the bottom of the water pump. When i wiped it off a steady stream of antifreeze came out from the gasket area holding the two pump halves together. So my questions are do you think my pump is bad,or just the gasket,could the pump be causing the antifreeze in my cylinders or do i have a bad pump and bad head gaskets?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would take the water pump off and due a general inspection. Gaskets are cheap so replace them for sure. I am currently rebuilding the water pump on my 97 polaris 680 ultra. That is a triple also. The pump bearing went and that caused the plastic gear to shear at the base. Gear,bearings, mech seal, gaskets all ran around 213.00 through Ronnies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a bad water pump,pump gasket could be the sole cause of the coolant in the cylinders?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, there could be other issues going on but if you are having anti freeze leaking from the water pump gasket that would be the best place to start. Fixing that issue could be it.
Good luck, start with the water pump. You can go to Ronnies microfiche to look up the schematic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I took the pump apart and the bearing and seal is bad between the two halves so its letting fluid into the crankshaft area. Do you think that's where my antifreeze coming out the exhaust is from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts