Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am new here and am hoping for some help with a sled that I have. It is a 1997 V-Max 600 XTC. It is running real rough from idle to about mid throttle. It does not matter how fast I take off, it always runs bad until about midway. On top end it runs great. It seems to be running real rich in this range. The plugs come out black with an oily wet residue on them. I have searched a lot on this topic and found some info saying the oil pumps fail a lot, so I bypassed the pump and used mix and still had the same results. I have cleaned the carbs twice (completely disassembled and sprayed / blew out). I checked the float bowl level with it running and it seemed to be in spec. When I reassembled the carbs I set the air screws at 1 1/2 turns out. Should I take them in some?? The jets are stock. Any suggestions / similar problems? Good sledding snow does not last long in Indiana so I need to get it running good fast!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do it on the bench or did you do it while running? I can't get to the screws with them mounted. I am assuming because they are on the motor side of the carb in will lean it out some...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you do it on the bench or did you do it while running? I can't get to the screws with them mounted. I am assuming because they are on the motor side of the carb in will lean it out some...

take them loose ,flip over,set to 1 1/2, take needles in an 1/8,, yes will make leaner (low end). Let us know better or worse.

Did you try new plugs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, 3rd set of plugs...I will give it a shot today and let you know how it comes out. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I pulled the carbs off and turned the screw in...ran a little better so I did it again. the screws are now only 1 turn out. Seems to still be a little miss to it. Can a dirty clutch cause this? Seems that I read that somewhere. Also, wondering about the needles. How do you get them out of the slide? Can it be done with the carbs on the sled? I have had those carbs off so many times I'm ready to pull out my hair.
Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts