Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys. I have the skid out. The chaincase off the 3 speedo control bolts out. The drive shaft is loose but it's too long to wiggle out. I go all the way clutch side as far as I can go and the drive sprockets hit the side of the tunnel and it won't go any further. What else do I have to do to get te driveshaft out? Can I tap on the shaft on the chaincase side to slide it out? or do i have to remove the speedo control completely.

1994 XLT

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
that one might have a shaft that splits. look for an allen wrench set screw by the speedo side. loosen it, and then look for a set hole to put a punch in. punch it against the direction of rotation to loosen it. it's an eccentric cam type thing like a locking bearing collar. My 92 is like that.

However, i didn't do that. as mine was frozen. I was just short on clearance like 1/4inch from being able to get the darn thing outta there. had to take the chaincase off and somehow i eventually managed to pry it out.. hope that helps

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok do I need a puller to get the primary off? Cause this would be a lot easier without the primary in the way.

And so what I get it that the speedo bearing needs to come off. There were two allen set screws I pulled both them out already. Thinking it was an essentric locking color. then I pull the driveshaft out chaincase side or clutch side?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
yeah if you can get those collars off and the bearing it's a lot easier. otherwise push it to the chaincase side and pull the speedo side down. Not sure if i'm answering your question adequately?

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
What sled to start? Tip the sled on the side, much easier to work on. I did mine yesterday!

·
Registered
26,123 Posts
Remove the speedo side bearing, cut the collar if you need too. If you have to use a gear puller put a small socket over the alum drive unit!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts