Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My dad just impulse-bought a Yamaha RS Venture 1000cc w/ 500 miles. Now, I need one.

We'll end up doing a lot of open trails, but plenty of playing around as well. I'm more interesting in lofting the skis and jumping it than I am in a big windshield. I am into dirt bikes and race motorcycles in the summer, so I'm going to want the adrenaline rush.

I'd love to be able to 2-up, but the budget is in the $1500 range. Looks like that gets me something sporty, 2000ish, or a dated, big, heavy old touring sled. With those options, I'll deal with a single seater.

So far, I've found the following:

2001 mxz 800 - $1850. 4800 miles, "newer track in great shape with predrilled 96 studs,just serviced by dealer New boots v force #3"
From what I've read about these, they really appeal to me. They seem like fun, high torque, good overall sleds. But... I'm new to this. Thoughts/input?

"Beautifully maintained 2001 Arctic Cat ZR600, 2300 original miles, liquid cooled., equipped with studded track, hand and thumb warmers, cover. Will sell for $1995.00."
This one is also appealing. I'm curious power/weight, and acceleration times for both. I somehow got the impression the MXZ's (even a 600) is decidedly faster than these, but I never found a shootout, just people talking about them differently.

"i have a 2001 polaris xc 800 snow is HERE perfect sled to ride needs nothing . about 3500 miles.. new 1'' 1/4 complast track. new sliders. new clutch spring "rear shocks just rebiult this summer". very good condition for year.... has reverse "not studded" no electic start. runs awsome and "screems". sled has been well maintained
1500.00 obo"
This looks surprisingly dated to me for an 01, with the purple graphics and whatnot. Unsure what to make of the sled, didn't find a lot of in depth stuff about it. Graphics don't matter, I can fix that. Anyone have any input on these things?

I also found a 99 Vmax SX 700 that "runs great and ready to ride. It has electric start and reverse." for 1100/bo.
The pics show it just sitting out in the snow, half buried and looking like it was fully buried before they half-heartedly wiped enough of it off to see a sled in the pictures.

Anyway, like I said, I'm new to this and would welcome any and all input, be it on these sleds, other sleds to look for, advice to look in another direction entirely, whatever. Bring it on :D

Sorry this post was so long-winded, but I figure if anyone took the time to make it through hopefully I gave a good idea of budget, intended use, options, etc. When newbies ask "what bike should I get" with no other info on the motorcycle forums I hang out on I know it's hard to help them, so hopefully I provided enough here without going tooooo far overboard.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was just offered a "really nice Polaris XC 600 with XTRA10 suspension that gets no use and has a lot of brand new parts...including the track.
I believe its a 2000 and it has approx 3,300 miles. I tested the compression recently and both cylinders are 114psi.
It has the upgraded fox rear shock that I had GMD Computrack/PK rebuild last season too.
No damage, no rips in the seat and comes with a nice cover."

I know this guy, he is an expert motorcycle racer in the organization I race in, so I am confident he's not going to try to screw me. He would let it go for $1250. Seems like a deal to me, what do you guys think? He doesn't have pics yet but says it looks like this: http://cdn-2.psndealer.com/e2/dealer.../00600xcsp.jpg

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have 2 concerns.

1)Reading up, it seems like this sled has no reverse. How much of a PITA is this? Do any of the smaller sporty sleds have it?

2) Also from reviews, I read it kind of lags on power down low but is good up top. I don't see myself doing a ton of 60-100 drags, but I def. want the power to lift the skis going slow, over hills, etc. Something that'd be fun in a pit, my yard, etc. as well as on the real trails. Anyone have any experience with this sled? What's it like for power down low?

edit: it's a 600 twin, how bad can the low end kick be? With motorcycles, anyway, twins come on hard down low.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
That sled will have plenty of get up and go power for you, and at $1250, it's a really good deal. I'd jump on that if I were you.

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks. I sent him a reply already, and will try to meet with him tomorrow or Sunday depending on when I get back from Boston NYE. I'm thinking no reverse will be a PITA, but is probably manageable? Good to hear on plenty of low end get up and go, that's my big thing.

I have a feeling this is going to be in excellent condition. If it is, I'll probably jump on it.

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most sleds dont have reverse...its no big deal.
Cool, thanks. I have a buddy that sleds a lot in s. nh that says reverse is a big plus for the trails we ride. Can it be added? It is a factory option. I'm probably going to buy it either way but itd be nice to have the option in the future.

Anyway, im looking at it sunday. I'm bringing a trailer and a fistful of cash. I expect to bring the sled home with me.

Anything in particular to look at when I'm checking it out?

·
Registered
136 Posts
if you dont get that sled i would go with the ski doo mxz solid sleds with the best engine :)

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help. I bought it. Thing is amazingly clean, looks 10 days old and not 10 years old. I'm thrilled with it.

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet, thanks. Reverse was a factory option, so I'm hoping it's not too much of a PITA. I'm also not sure if I should be looking for aftermarket 3rd party stuff or original Polaris equipment? After dragging the thing into my quonset hut backwards today, I'm ready to start doing some research to see about adding it. Thing is a PITA to back up without it ;)

I suppose I should probably start a new thread about that, huh?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
ebay and craigslist should be able to find a good deal on used factory parts if ur patient

·
Live to ride
2,682 Posts
I dont know why you would have to worry about backing it up?

The only time you should need reverse is when you unloading it off a trailer.

It might end up being more of a hassel putting it in than it is worth.

Thats just my .02

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
where was that 2001 800 edge at? I have that sled + IT flat out SCREAMS! If I found one close to me under 1500.00 in good shape I would buy It in a heartbeat. the 600 you bought is NICE but it wont run with that BIG BLOCK!! but It might run longer.

·
Where are the wheels?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know why you would have to worry about backing it up?

The only time you should need reverse is when you unloading it off a trailer.

It might end up being more of a hassel putting it in than it is worth.

Thats just my .02
The only time I've needed it so far was getting the thing into the shed. I suppose if that's the only time I ever need it, not that big a deal (I'll build a dolly). Im just thinking if it is that hard in the shed, it'd be a nightmare in 3' of powder if I run off the trail on accident?

where was that 2001 800 edge at? I have that sled + IT flat out SCREAMS! If I found one close to me under 1500.00 in good shape I would buy It in a heartbeat. the 600 you bought is NICE but it wont run with that BIG BLOCK!! but It might run longer.
It sold instantly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
reverse in 3 feet of pow will just make you sink even more. just keep driving if you go of the trail a little and get back on when you can. in pow never use reverse. just leave it the way it is for this season and if you find out you really have t have it then get it next season

1 - 17 of 17 Posts