Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEllo everyone I'm new to the forum . I own a 1992 phazer 2 Im Pretty sure it needs a new fuel pump it runs like its on one cylinder with no power. I checked the compression and they are both good. I bought a new coil and cleand the carbs twice also. One spark plug is wet while the other is dry. Does enyone know what size of fuel pump to order? I went to yamaha and they told me they don't make them enymore. I know they sell them on royal distributing but don't k ow what size to order??

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
Welcome
Any Mikuni pump will work
Pull it and try to blow through it.
It should blow same as arrows point
and it should Not flow backwards

Sound more like you need to get back into the carbs!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome
Any Mikuni pump will work
Pull it and try to blow through it.
It should blow same as arrows point
and it should Not flow backwards

Sound more like you need to get back into the carbs!
I seen some on royal distributing and there were different sizes. I also cleaned the carbs relly good with a ultra sonic cleaner twice.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
Any fuel pump with the same number of inlets/outlets should work. I would try to find one that is similar in shape to aid in mounting. Most snowmobile fuel pumps operate the same way; impulse from the pressure/vacuum of the crankcase drives a diaphragm back and forth and that's what delivers the fuel.

The after-market ones may not last as long as an OEM, so be prepared for that.

Have you tested your fuel pump? Remove the hose from the carbs and put the end in a container. Pull the rope. A small amount of gas should come out with every pull. If it does, your problem isn't the fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
It can take more then just 2 times to clean a carburetor. And if you didn't fully clean the gas tank and even then all it takes is one small piece of garbage or something from the fuel pump or something that was stuck in the fuel lines or in the fuel filter. When doing a fuel pump replacement I replace all of the fuel lines, fuel filter and I clean the tank. A standard Mikuni Fuel pump like the DF52-73 is all you need that is what he was referring to.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Might be the opposite issue. The "wet" spark plug might not be firing and the dry one is firing and thus burning all the fuel. That is typically the case.

I would then suspect the needle/seat on the carb on the wet side of not closing and thus flooding that cylinder.

Is this a dual carb machine? If so, try swapping carbs from one side to the other and see if the problem follows. Then you'll know for sure if it is a fuel pump.

The reason we're not convinced it is a fuel pump is fuel pumps usually work or they don't, for both sides. They can get weak or punctured, but because of their design, what effects one carb, will effect the other. Unless it is simply debris in the line. You can take your fuel pump apart and they do make rebuild kits for them.

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
I agree
I would go back into the carbs and remove all the jets including the Pilot (up the tub)
as well as the choke and air screw.
Then spray all the passages and blow out with air.
Then put a piece of hose on inlet and simply blow into it, raise the float til you can't pass
air and that is where your float level is.
It needs to shut off as it becomes 'Level' with carb body.
Adjust little tab to get it there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts