Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. I have a 1979 arctic cat panther 440 single carb that a bought some years back. I got it running and it ran very well, but then i lost interest. The only thing that was wrong with it was the primary was stuck. Other than being pretty rough from being outside for who knows how long and all the previous owners hacking everything to death. The last sticker it has on it is from 2010. But anyways, is this sled worth somewhat fixing it up? are they decent sleds? I grew up on 70s skidoos and had a 1984 pantera, 1985 el tigre and 79ish 340 jag. i love vintage sleds although snow here in massachusetts is not like it used to be. it would be fun to cruise around the woods on an oldy once again. Thanks. -Josh.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
They are good for the between years kids. My kids are to big for the minis, but two small for the 550+ machines. I have a 1990-340 Jag, 1989-440 Panther, 1999-340 Jag and the kids love them. Ages 8-13.

Kind of rough ride for older folks though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah lack of suspension should be fun. it looks like it would be a good yard/ woods cruiser. nothing extreme. i noticed someone in that past put a mikuni carb on it and deleted the oil injection. It also must have a different tank on it. The gas tank on it now has the oil injection tank built into it and you really cant get to the cap. it looks like maybe the tank is from the same era pantera. The seat is also toast and i am sure none of the lights work and forget about the electric start. It really is a shame this thing was neglected the way it is. I think its a cool sled. I love the vintage stuff.

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
Welcome
I would personally want the oil injection back, as well as the e start!
For the most part it likely just needs a good going through and cleaning!
I found a place that can replace the seat cover!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts