Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 zr 580 and want to make it faster off the line. it has a 57-57 haelix in it and a yellow spring.

what spring and helix should I get?

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
go with a green secondary and what is on the front? as for the helix it has nothing to do with starts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Use a 56/50 helix and keep your stock yellow spring. Place spring in the 2nd hole from the left. The helix lets the clutch sheaves open at a specific rate and also determins belt squeeze. The spring helps belt squeeze and the rate the secondary clutch will open. If your secondary clutch opens to fast it will bog your primary clutch and you will loose acceleration. If you want to achieve higher top end speeds but still with a good take off, go with a lower ending angle on your helix, lets say 56/46.

Joey

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
you will need a primary spring if you want to be quicker of the line.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, primary spring will help take off but sometimes will effect clutch full shift out because the spring is too stiff.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
well if he is going to buy all secondary stuff he might as well buy a kit. why half a$$ it? You need stuff to match if you are going to take full advantage of the clutch set up. he wants a better start and a helix wont get that for him.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you seem to think that a helix has no role in low end. Hummm your not a clutch tuner. Ha, thats why they make progressive and compound helixes. You think just putting in a spring will make all the difference? I dont think so

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
im sayin that if he wants a good clutch set up you have to match components.if you want to see a decent gain you have to do more than that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
JoeyO said:
You think just putting in a spring will make all the difference? I dont think so
Exactly. Having matched clutch components does make a difference, but not all the time. They can test all they want, but do you seriously think they have every sled manufactured there for testing? What one guy says works great when another loses performance. You can, which most people do, is either get a heavier, meaning harder to close, spring to bring up the rpms before engaging or learn how to adjust your clutch, preferably from a local certified dealer, it will save you more money than buying all these springs and helixs that you actually wont need if you knew what to do on your clutchs. Its funny how $300 worth of springs and helix's that i was told to try and see didnt get me any faster in times, except the straight 47 and 47-50 slowed me 3-4mph and the stock straight 50 got me the fastest with stock springs and bumping up the primary clutch 1 turn. Read clutching explained in this forum at what my post was, it will explain what you will need to do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
with arctic cat clutches we cannot bump up the primary clutch with 1 turn....... you need to do trial and error to find the best clutch setup for your sled. Springs, weights ect. I've purchased 2 clutch kits before, one being the hearthrob clutch kit and the other D&D...both worked good. But I didnt get the improvements that I was looking for.

what it boils down to is: How fast or faster you want to go is how much your gonna pay. Trial and error is the only way your gonna learn clutching and the only way your going to find the perfect setup. Every sled is different. Rider weight is never the same. So all come into factors. I've seen perfect clutched 500's keep up with stock twin 700's.

Joe

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cats dont have adjustable ramps? Id just get a heavier spring then to get the rpms up higher before engagement and gear it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts