Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a heated face shield? I have a bad time with fogging my shield and getting frost to the point where I can't ride with the shield down. I don't want to chose between seeing and keeping icicles off of my eyebrows (froze 'em up today!). I have a HJC CL-12s (according to the box) that I picked up few years ago. I've tried anti-fog wipes, and they didn't do the trick. So I'm looking at a heated shield, what's the cost? How hard are they to install (plug into sled)? Where to I hook the wires up to for power? Thanks, any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i just put one on my HJC helmet and it cost me $75.00 complete with the hook-up for the sled, however we have had no damn snow so i have not tried it out yet. as far as hookin it up to the sled, you should have a plug up under the console near the key switch that you could tap into for power. hope this helps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
if you do not have the plug in under the console, you'll have to wire it in the harness under the hood. I had to do that on my 02' MXZ 500. As I remember, it was pretty easy, just a positive and negative, then I ran that lead wire up under the handlebars. It had the end to plug the heated shield into. I bought the kit complete from my dealer and asked a bunch of questions. I feel for you, as I had the same problem in the really cold weather. Do yourself a favor and get the shield for that HJC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Once you have a heated visor, you won't go back. I used HJC airtechII with heated shield,,worked well, worth the bucks I think. Even now, I'm using a new Bombardier BVS2 , and still fog up on the real cold nights (after about 4 hours mind you) Thnking if it ever snows again, will buy the heated shield for this one.. scary price and all.. good luck

·
Registered
365 Posts
ya

Ya I was out last week and I had a thick layer of fog on my shield. I used my buddy's tail light as a guide home. I bought a heated the next day

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy to report that the heated shield works great... although my buddy knocked it off a table and put some litle scratches in it last night... But it kept the fog and frost away... Well worth the money from what I can see! I'd highly recommend one to anybody with a fog/frost problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wear a heated shield on the sub zero days. You will find that on occassion even the heated shield will fog. Last year I bought a snowcross helmet and goggles just for the hell of it and I'll never go back. It is with out a doubt the clearest, fog free vision I've ever had. Too me nothing is makes the ride more enjoyable than a clear field of vision. Not to mention the safety factor. Also, the cost of replacing goggles is half the cost of replacing a shield because let's face it, they always get a little scratched up from normal use. I prefer the blue tinted lense. It make the lights seem clearer to me at night.

The electrical connections for the shield are easy. There should be a labeled auxilary plug on the right hand side under the console. Solderless crimp some spade connectors (usually male) on the exposed wires and fish it up under the handle bar pad. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
-3 f and no fog no freeze:cool: best $75 you will spend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts