Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havin a problem with my 97 600 xlt heating up.Anybody ever heard of heat exchangers blocking up,restricting the coolant flow?I've checked just about everything but the heat exchangers.I hate the thoughts of tearing them out.Their riveted in and the one in the tunnel is a real PITA to get to...........................................thanks.......600 XLT

· ZR rider
2,054 Posts
It's possible... but not the most likely of scenarios. Are your heat exchangers cold after a ride?

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
You may have some air trapped in the system, which will certainly keep the coolant from being cooled. But like Twins said, check to see how warm they are next time you ride. If they are hot to the touch, it's not an exchanger problem, it's probably not enough cooling snow hitting the heat exchangers. What kind of riding are you doing? Have you considered adding some rail or ski-mounted ice scratchers? How is your snow flap? Is it curling up and blocking the rear exchanger (if there is one?) Is the flap long enough to keep the snow that the track flips up in the tunnel?

· Registered
83 Posts
what about your belt that runs your water pump and oil pump, have you checked it? there are a bunch of reasons your sled could be heating up. everything that everybody who has commented on this post could be your problem

· ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
my formula 3 600 got hot, found hoses switched
up causing a flow problem.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No thermostat on this sled,new water pump belt ,hoses routed like factory parts blowup shows..........good idea about feeling the exchangers after a ride.Never thought about doin such a simple check,but i do know theres steam comin off them after i ride.I'll get down and actually feel them next time.I've heard of air gettin trapped in the system but i followed factory manual for "bleeding" the system after i put the engine back in(new rings & crank seals,gasket kit)maybe i'll try it again.Flaps OK too.No "rear" exchanger.One under each foot and one in front of the track in the tunnel.
Actually,it does'nt seem to heat up till i'm out of fresh stuff for awhile.Maybe it isnt kickin enough up on the heat exchangers.I'll check for air in the system and the exchanger temp. next time i ride it.
thanks,600 xlt

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
My 650 does that too when I ride it on hard packed trails. It has the same cooling system as your sled. I added ice scratchers to the skis and it is a lot better. The light comes on sometimes even with the scratchers down, so I pack snow on the running boards to help cool the exchangers from the top. I will also continue to idle the sled and take snow and rub the exchangers manually to cool the coolant.

· ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
My 650 does that too when I ride it on hard packed trails. It has the same cooling system as your sled. I added ice scratchers to the skis and it is a lot better. The light comes on sometimes even with the scratchers down, so I pack snow on the running boards to help cool the exchangers from the top. I will also continue to idle the sled and take snow and rub the exchangers manually to cool the coolant.
man i bet that takes the fun out of riding. we have a buddy that does the
same thing. and everybody complains cause were always waiting for him.
now when i invite him no-one wants to ride with us because of all the down time. :D
so we are waiting now for him to get a different sled that he can ride on trails for more than an hour without shoveling snow on exchangers.
i still go with him, at least he the snowmobile bug we all have!!;)

· ZR rider
2,054 Posts
If the exchangers were steamy, that means they're fairly hot. I'd move on to oil problems/air leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.