Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Formula 583 DLX that blows the headlight bulb when I rev it up to around 4000 rpm. This is the only bulb that blows. Happens to both the high and low beam. All other instruments and instrument bulbs are OK and work properly. The problem began when I replaced the voltage regulator to repair the problems I had with the electric start. The electric start works perfectly now. I redid the ground on the regulator and the main ground from the battery to make sure they are good but still have the problem. Hope someone can help me out here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first bulb that blew was the same one that was in the sled last year with no problems. I replaced with a name brand Osram bulb and it blew also. Is it possible the voltage reg I bought was bad right out of the box. I did get it from my local Skidoo dealer though. Last year I had no problem with lighting but my electric start didn't work. It would blow the main 30 amp fuse when I tried to use it. This year I traced it to a dead short in the voltage reg when I measured the red wire to ground. I replaced the voltage reg and now the electric start works perfect, but now blowing headlight bulbs. There are four wires coming out of my voltage reg. 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 yellow with black and 1 black. The red is power, the black is ground and I believe the yellows are for lights and accessories. Can a voltage reg be metered out and checked if its good. I just don't want to buy another one if its not the problem. Electric parts cannot be returned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried another new regulator and measured the voltage at the headlight plug to be 17 VAC on both high and low beam. Does anyone know if this is too high and what should it be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Measured DCV and got between 2.8 and 3.2 volts on both high and low beam and 17 VAC on both high and low beam. This was measured at the 3 prong plug at the headlight. Does anyone know what I should be measuring?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The service manual says the measured voltage at the headlight socket should never exceed 15 VAC, and if it does, change the voltage regulator and check the grounds. I measure 17 VAC, have changed the voltage regulator twice and cleaned and ensured good grounds (the grounding of the reg itself and the main ground wire from the battery). Still blowing bulbs. What else do I check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts