Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure where I should look to solve this problem. The headlight died on the trail last winter. I local auto parts store sold me what looked the exact headlight. Fit was perfect. Light worked great for just a few minutes then blew again. I'd like to get it fixed before this winter, but I'm not sure how to diagnose the issue. Was the issue the fact that I used a non Polaris bulb (even though it looked and fit exact), or is the problem something else? Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same issue on my 89 skidoo mach 1 and i went through 2 headlight bulbs before I replaced the voltage regulator, it was all green on the bottom and like see through it just looked bad, the new ones bottom was all black. Its hasn't blown since. I'm not sure if indy's have a voltage regulator but if i does i would check that out.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
No has nothing to do with a non polaris bulb. That stuff makes no difference. Most likely it is either some bad grounds somewhere on the snowmobile or the Voltage Regulator as he said above. I use car silverstars in my polaris snowmobiles as long as the connector is the same and what not you can use them. No such thing as a special "Polaris" or any snowmobile maker bulb that only they sell.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I've had good luck in the past with non-oem voltage regulators but they were name brand. Most likely the same ones that Polaris uses, the el cheap Amazon and eBay ones that are something like 5 dollars yeah stay away from. I can get OEM regulators as well all over the place so if cost is an issue look at one of those, they can usually be had for 10-15 bucks. Not like Polaris changed them much from the mid '80s up till the early '00s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts