Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing the head gasket on a 97 Indy Classic 500. It seems to be losing a little bit of coolant on a regular basis- It only seems to loose it while running. There appears to be some wetness comming from the head.
What do I have to do to replace the head gasket? Should I perform a compression test before I replace the head gasket? I will note the condition of the pistons when the head is off. My final question is what are the torque specs for the head bolts? I read on another post to Torque them bring the sled up to temp and retorque a couple of times.

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone ever swapped out a head gasket on the Indy 500?:dunno:
Lots of great info on the site.

Does the exhast pipe need to be removed to help accomplish this as well? Do I have to worry about breaking off the studs? I would replace the exhaust manifold gasket if I needed to remove it...

Time to stop by my Polaris Dealer.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manual says the head is supposed to be torqued to 17-20 ft lbs if it has 8mm bolts, or 24-26 ft lbs if it has 10mm bolts.

I wouldnt think you would have to pull the exhaust. I dont think you would have to worry about breaking studs, but soaking them with penetrating fluid overnight and again 5min prior to disassembly would probably make things easier. But thats just my opinion, im not guaranteeing they wont snap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You. I will take a look at it. I stopped by a local Polaris Dealer and they did not have a head gasket in stock. I will have to try DK.

Have a Merry Christmas

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts