Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just the opposite, they didn't have last year and I believe another tried to take it's place!
So Im sure it will be a no holds barred event!

Here is the Big Secret to Hay Days
Go as a Swap Vendor
Cost like $100 FOR THE WEEKEND
Bring a tent and something to get rid of!
It used to take me 4hrs to walk it with no stops, may take longer this year?
They even have a concert for the friday swap meeters (opens to public on Sat am)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Not gonna happen as I just got hit with 2100 dollars in labor/parts on the Explorer. Plus when I went to change out the rear diff gear oil I stuck my finger in the fill hole to see what it looked like and pulled out a finger full of metal shavings so it goes back in Tuesday to see how bad it is. Basically they took a Dana 35 and Ford copied a lot of the design into the 8.8 they used in those and they are known to blow bearings out behind the yoke. Thankfully I still get my discount at Machine Service and will be picking up an entire Master Bearing kit and ordering a complete Spider Gear set as well to have the shop rebuild the rear diff beginning of July. So another 160 dollars in parts and 350 in labor plus going to have them just replace the gear oil in the front diff at the same time and the front driveshaft u-joints as well since I just did all that this past week when I had to replace the transfer case and one bad u-joint on the rear driveshaft.

So far I have done all 4 struts, upper and lower ball joints, rear inner and outer tie rod ends, front outer tie rod ends, transfer case, rear driveshaft u-joints and some other front suspension stuff as well. 1400 in labor and 700 in parts. Thankfully my shop allows anyone to bring in their own parts otherwise it would be double that in parts.

So at this point I am flat broke and can't afford a trip out to Hay Days as much as I would like. I know I need a couple things but will have to see if I can get the money. IF I do maybe I can send it out to you KC via paypal and have you pick them up for me. I doubt it will happen but never know. Also if you text me my phone isn't excepting long messages or pictures anymore stupid cellcom sucks.

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL I had a running list from now 3 years ago!
Give me a list
Don't forget that I may not be able to recognize Polaris parts lol

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Yeah if I come up with the money I will send it over to you via pm KC. Just sucks getting hit with that much in repair work especially before a quick trip to Joliet next month for 2 days and before EAA. Definitely wasn't expecting this kind of money being thrown out for repairs.

·
Super Moderator
306 Posts
Coolhand, If you want a reasonable bill I highly recommend the "fixed costs" method. See, my buddy Greg was complaining exactly about this same thing 5 years or so ago now. He was sick of putting out a wad of cash to fix his truck (and junk car). I told him to lease a no money down and cheapest he could find AWD Subaru. See they give outrageous deals on leases on those because the turn in value of them is so high. So not much in depreciation on them too and as a result the lease deal he got on the first one was $309 a month. This idea is that if you have fixed costs on a vehicle and you just turn it in and pick up another one with no money down then you are not out any cash at any point in time during the lease. Sure there's risks and you have to change the oil at least on it and fix any busted windshields or whatever extra stuff that may happen. But that's a risk on any car. On his lease he went for the extra mileage to 15k a year but found he didn't need that and on the 2nd one bumped it down to 12k. And his first one he didn't even need to put new tires on it. It passed inspection on turn in. That's all that's needed. Pass the turn in inspection and move onto the next fixed cost vehicle.

So just an option that you can do. Some might say "well I don't have $300 a month". If you add your costs up you might find you spend that or more anyway. He was. And this way you get a brand new vehicle that just works every time you turn the key.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I can't afford a lease living on SSD. I was going to look at a '03 Mustang GT on Tuesday and called the dealership the night before telling them I am coming in the morning as soon as they call, no call by 10 so I called and he tells me oh someone came ten minutes ago and took it out for a test drive. It wasn't much they were asking 6K and it was in mint shape with 120,000 on it. I was not happy as that loan was only going to cost me 125-150 bucks a month through my credit union. So that much I can afford but that is it. Plus I only drive 2,500 miles a year as it is on the Explorer and I have one car. I have been wanting something with a V8 like a Mustang for the summer. Plan was to save up and buy my '84 442 Cutlass but at this point I just want something to drive during the summer.

Thanks for the idea though, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Part of the problem is the fact both me and my dad have the knowledge & training to do all this stuff ourselves. 20 years ago I would have NEVER thought about paying a shop to do my vehicle work. But being physically disabled now I have no choice. Been through Yamaha, OMC, Merc, Polaris training like you wouldn't believe along with ten times more in auto repair and ASE classes. Hell my dad used to rebuild the Jet Engine that Mobil Oil has at their Elwood, IL refinery that they put in back in 1988 to power the electrical out there because even then the cost for electrical for them was several hundred thousand dollars. He was a lead machinist there, he has training in all that kind of work I have had done and we used to do it all the time back in Illinois in our 2 car garage. Boats, Jet Skis, Quads, Cars, Dirt Bikes, Snowmobiles it didn't matter we did all our own work. But age and a disability have taken that from both of us and it kills the two of us knowing we have the knowledge but not the ability to do it. We still do most of our snowmobile work because that is usually simple, quick and easy but vehicles now unless its something we can do easy enough then it goes across the street to the shop we use.

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im a VW Man
My wife has a2010 Tiguan and the ignition switch messed up a year or so back
I replaced it and the steering wheel module too as I broke it taking it apart!
Now it is going to Stealer to have them try and to reset computer!
I believe they have been making everything more and more complicated so Dealers
have to be involved!

·
Super Moderator
306 Posts
The idea is good IMO. Fixed costs on a vehicle with all the complexities of todays cars isn't a bad idea. And for some who can tolerate just front wheel drive, some leases are even cheaper. I've seen some no money down ones on Toyota Camry (great resale value vehicles) in the $200 range. That's a great value as well. My buddy wanted a AWD as a minimum. Subaru holds that value and all their cars are AWD so it's easy to pick from them.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,155 Posts
Friends of mine lease. They got a fully decked out Mazda CX5. Lease is up and they're getting another one. It's way cheaper than to buy out their current one. They paid around $300/mth. Mileage means nothing unless you give it back and walk away. That's when they nail ya....

I hear Hay Days tickets go on sale Monday....

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,155 Posts
Wow! When is it?

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Swappers start on Friday the 10th!
Open to public Sat the 11th and Sunday the 12th!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts