Snowmobile Forum banner

Hard steering on 91 Indy 650

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  n4cer126 
#1 ·
Hello,

I bought a 91 indy 650 a month ago off a trailer. Now that I have had a chance to ride it I noticed that the steering took almost everything I had to turn it while riding.

I removed the control arms at the skis and also loosened the nut on the assembly that they attach to at the center/front of the pan. The steering is still just as difficult.

The only thing left is a U-Joint or "knuckle" which can barely be seen while peering down through the carbs. What is this thing called and does anyone know how much the part is / part # ?

Also, what is involved in replacing it. Is it something that I can do or do I need to have it done at a repair shop.

I only paid $850 for it and didn't really want to sink more into it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Mike

#3 ·
The first step will be to remove the big black air cleaner box that connects to the carbs. This is taking up a bunch of space...........Once I get that off I will know if I can get at this thing without pulling the motor..........which by the way I won't do. I will definitely sell it. I dont have the time to get into something like that.

Im pissed that the guy I bought it from took me for a ride. Unfortunately I bought it when in snowless november and it was on a trailer. A friend of mine checked it out but the ski travel was one thing we didn't check because the skiis were locked down on the trailer.

I specifically asked if it had any problems. The guys says "nope....great sled". I rode it once around the yard since I've had it...........no way he didn't know about the problem.

Oh well...........expensive education I guess.

Thanks!

#5 ·
There's also a grease fitting on the steering shaft that is under the carbs, it is something that most people don't get to because it is a PITA to get to. Before getting rid of your sled, I would do like smallengineguy says and lubricate everything, rust happens.

Nothing sounds quite as sweet as the sound of a 650 triple, it would be a shame to dump it for the lack of some grease and oil.

#6 ·
How hard is it to get the air box off? The throttle cables go directly over it with no slack to slip around. The coolant cap is also bolted to it.

I thought there had to be a grease / lube fitting down there somewhere! Is it pretty easy to get to with the box removed?

Thanx,
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.