Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im stumped. I got an 88 Indy trail 488 fan. Starts fine when cold but after driving for a while and stopping even for 5 minutes it is hard to start. I have already jetted down and it still does this. I can pull it over and over fast and it will start up. Runs fine when started. Do I have a choke issue or another idea was the fuel pump cycling (have to shut them off on the trailer). Not sure what?

·
Super Moderator
16,786 Posts
Have you tried shutting the gas off when you stop? If it will start normally, something is flooding the engine when you are stopped. Suspect either a worn inlet needle/seat in one of the carbs, improper float adjustment in the carbs, or (not common) a hole in the fuel pump diaphram that is allowing gas to enter the crankcase. Eliminate the first two before suspecting the last.

·
hurry up winter
129 Posts
Im havin the same issue with a 96 xlt starts fine cold and hot but if i let it sit for a half hour its hard to start have to usethe choke and pull quite a few times Im thinkin fuel pump on mine tho you got any thought bc_dan?

·
Super Moderator
16,786 Posts
If you think it's the fuel pump, I would get a kit and rebuilt it. You can find them at the online parts places like Dennis Kirk for less than 10 bucks. If that doesn't help, at least you have ruled the pump out as a problem. Check the choke plungers to make sure they are bottoming in the carb as well. Sometimes the nylon seat on the bottom of the plunger gets deformed and lets fuel by, causing a rich condition.

But if it's flooding after sitting, it's usually the carb inlet needle/seat or float height adjustment letting gas past the inlet into the crankcase as the engine sits. That floods the engine and makes it so you have to crank a lot to get it started. Sometimes holding the throttle wide open while cranking helps clear it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
idk both my 2005 sleds are the same way. some times they fire right back up other times after 4 pulls ill just crack the gas and they fire right up. easier then tearin it all apart. been like that for 5 years...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts