Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 1994 Indy Xlt and just got back from some trail riding and my right hand warmer is not working at all. My left warmer was nice and warm but my left was freezing. I haven't had a chance to check the wiring or anything yet but what are some possibilities that I should check?

·
Registered
757 Posts
1) Check to make sure that side is plugged into the harness under handlebar pad, ensure plug is getting power.
2) Check to see if the small wires that go into the heating element are broken
3) Check to see if the foil grid is intact (continuity test)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Check to make sure that side is plugged into the harness under handlebar pad, ensure plug is getting power.
2) Check to see if the small wires that go into the heating element are broken
3) Check to see if the foil grid is intact (continuity test)
Okay I will do that probably this weekend if I have time.

Thanks for the response

·
Super Moderator
17,085 Posts
Any time i've lost one hand warmer, it was a broken wire at the element. They make replacement elements but often, the wiring will be "universal" so it may be better to bite the bullet and get a Polaris replacement...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any time i've lost one hand warmer, it was a broken wire at the element. They make replacement elements but often, the wiring will be "universal" so it may be better to bite the bullet and get a Polaris replacement...
I have never taken the hand warmers off or anything. Are they hard to get on and off also where would be best place to get the Polaris replacement? What is the difference other than the grips with some really cheep ones like this?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Polaris replacements will cost you an arm & a leg. Go aftermarket they are same bloody thing and cost a heck of a lot less. You can pick those up for 20-50 bucks online. Also buy it from a North American Seller that guy is in China which means you won't get them till end of Feb if you are lucky. Or look at Amazon last set I got was for a friend and it was from there and cost me 30 bucks, also remember to get the glue for it unless it comes with a small pack of it of course.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polaris replacements will cost you an arm & a leg. Go aftermarket they are same bloody thing and cost a heck of a lot less. You can pick those up for 20-50 bucks online. Also buy it from a North American Seller that guy is in China which means you won't get them till end of Feb if you are lucky. Or look at Amazon last set I got was for a friend and it was from there and cost me 30 bucks, also remember to get the glue for it unless it comes with a small pack of it of course.
With these do I just need the element or the whole grip and everything? Again I have no idea with these and have never taken them off or put them on.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
974 Posts
After looking no this will not work as those are a battery type system. You want a system more like what is below. I just wired them into the existing system when I did that set for a friend. I used grip glue which you will need as well regardless of how you do this. IF and it is a big IF, if you can get the existing grips off you can the use something like what is linked below you would cut the wires and possibly wire it into the existing system. Or you will have to buy a whole new setup if you can't get the grips off without ruining them and you can possibly wire it into the existing system. You could also buy a cheap set of grips and then use what is in the first link as well that would work and have seen people do that many times.

This is for IF you can get the grips off OR if you want to buy a set of cheap grips and do it that way.

This is the entire setup with grips & everything which is what I would do so it is easier. Idk if it comes with grip glue or not. You would have to message them and ask. I will include the amazon link as well. This is the set I used for said friends sled a few years ago/

Amazon link for the same thing. That rating is stupid as well, someone who just doesn't know what he is doing.

Grip Glue that I've used in the past

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After looking no this will not work as those are a battery type system. You want a system more like what is below. I just wired them into the existing system when I did that set for a friend. I used grip glue which you will need as well regardless of how you do this. IF and it is a big IF, if you can get the existing grips off you can the use something like what is linked below you would cut the wires and possibly wire it into the existing system. Or you will have to buy a whole new setup if you can't get the grips off without ruining them and you can possibly wire it into the existing system. You could also buy a cheap set of grips and then use what is in the first link as well that would work and have seen people do that many times.

This is for IF you can get the grips off OR if you want to buy a set of cheap grips and do it that way.

This is the entire setup with grips & everything which is what I would do so it is easier. Idk if it comes with grip glue or not. You would have to message them and ask. I will include the amazon link as well. This is the set I used for said friends sled a few years ago/

Amazon link for the same thing. That rating is stupid as well, someone who just doesn't know what he is doing.

Grip Glue that I've used in the past

Okay I will probably look to see if it's just a broken wire and if not I'll look at probably one of those.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
974 Posts
Also look at page 101 of the 1985-1995 Polaris Service Manual. It explains all of the handwarmers and their types along with what each connection does. Trust this over the Haynes or Clymers every time.

Click on Polaris and go to that Service Manual and scroll to page 101. That will help you out a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just was out for a ride and my headlight went out, got home put my headlight from my 440 in to test it and it burnt out within 5 feet also. 99% sure it's the regular and going to replace it. Would that have any effect on the hand warmers?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Check the regulator and grounds just to be safe. Sounds like something is shorting everything out which means a wire could be exposed or a bad ground or a bad regulator. And if it is shorting things out then yeah it could have killed the hand warmers. With sleds that old over time things become brittle, grounds become corroded. It happens

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check the regulator and grounds just to be safe. Sounds like something is shorting everything out which means a wire could be exposed or a bad ground or a bad regulator. And if it is shorting things out then yeah it could have killed the hand warmers. With sleds that old over time things become brittle, grounds become corroded. It happens
I have another regular on my parts sled I'm going to take off and put on when that new bulb comes. Should this fix the problem or is the damage already done

·
Registered
974 Posts
I honestly don't know. But before you go and put that regulator in check all the grounds, check all the wires to make sure none are broken. Do the simple stuff 1st before you go and replace parts. If all that checks out then replace the regulator. Who knows you might get lucky.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I honestly don't know. But before you go and put that regulator in check all the grounds, check all the wires to make sure none are broken. Do the simple stuff 1st before you go and replace parts. If all that checks out then replace the regulator. Who knows you might get lucky.
Good idea.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Check those wires! The cause of my tail light not working and a dim headlight was a wire a mouse had chewed on under the seat on my Puma. Last year, my low beam kept blowing out. It was the wiring touching the exhaust, melting and grounding out.

·
Registered
757 Posts
To check your regulator unplug it and check voltage (14.3 volts max) at yellow wire going to regulator. DO NOT rev the engine or you burn out all lights and gauges.
To get your grips off you a blow gun attached to your air compress blowing into the right side's grip hole. Hold that grip on and air pressure will pop the other side off. Could even use a heat gun and warm the grip slightly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay I finally got some time to test everything. Both left and right handwarmers are getting power. I was out again last night and still only left warmer is working. I could get the grips off pretty easy and took them off. Looks like all of the wires are still connected at the end where they all connect (first picture). What should I do now? Can I do a continuity test or what should I do from here?

·
Super Moderator
83 Posts
Ohm the wires out and report back what they are. You will need to disconnect them of course for those readings. Do both sides and I bet you figure out the issue once you do.

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ohm the wires out and report back what they are. You will need to disconnect them of course for those readings. Do both sides and I bet you figure out the issue once you do.

Steve
Okay I will do that tonight at see what they come out as. Also when I get new ones I saw that they do not have the connections on them so I assume I have to soder them. When I do this it looks like I have to either take the whole throttle assemble off or just cut it than pull the wire through. Can I just cut the wire tp get it out then getting the new one back it since it doesn't have a plug just put the wires through the hole than soder the connector on after it's through the hole? Here is the ones I was looking at.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts