Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, great forum!

I just picked up 2 1985 Yamaha Phazers, KITT and KARR. They are reversed in the pic.

Picked these up for $600 and the plan is to get them running for playing on my property and around the neighborhood.
Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

KITT needed the carbs cleaned out, a float was stuck. I got her started but gas was pumping out of the overflow…The oil/gas lines are all hard and I have new lines in hand with filters coming, along with a windshield. The seat is in good condition, the plywood base needs changing out though.

KARR needs a new fuel tank (ordered on eBay) as the cap hinge is broken. Obviously needs carbs cleaning and new fuel/oil lines. Not touching it ubrill KITT is running, need a reference..

Both have had the gas and oil tanks drained and I already picked up new batteries and a set of new bulbs for each.

Both need body work and I am sure the shocks and steering all need work.

I like playing with old machines, I have a 1982 Bronco, 1984 F350 and a 1985 F150 I spend most of my free time working on. When my wife lets me!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Sunny Kfalls! Not too far away!

I didn't realize how much of a following these old Phazers have.

Honestly, about 3 years ago I nearly bought a nice condition one for $800, just to play with at my property. But it felt like a lot of money for a toy, so I bought my Bronco for $900 instead.

When these 2 came up for $600 for the pair I couldn't say no.

The look of these machines is so quintessentially 1980's. Just bring your onesie and walkman!

I don't think it will take much to get these up to a good standard, this forum has been a valuable resource to get as far as I have. My friends (from out of town) are already exciting to come visit this winter and rip around :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one of the machines complete. Please meet KARR. I am particularly proud of the keyring. KITT has an appropriate one too.

The hardest work (for me) was actually removing and replacing the carbs. What a total pain. Rebuilding them was easy. The fuel lines were nearly as bad to fiddle with. There is no space in there and I swear this thing was designed by a left handed engineer with child sized hands.

So I think the list of work is:
Rebuilt carbs
New spark plugs
Replaced all fuel lines
Replaced some oil lines
Replaced wooden seat base with plywood sealed with poly eurethene
New visor
Painted the dark grey panels light metallic silver
Painted rest of body gloss black
Patched holes in the hood
New hood sticker
New headlight bulb
New headlight switch
New LEDs for dials
New battery and hold down
Replaced wire that hold the hood open
Cleaned and painted the metal skis
New carbides
New ski skins
Lots of new fasteners
Cerekote all the plastic bits

I do have some overspray, this was a rattle can job outside in the cold and wind..

The steering has major slop but the steering bushings look like they are a pain to get to, so that won't happen until I run out of other projects!

Plan is to push this one outside at the weekend and bring KITT in. I think KITT will go quicker as I ordered 2 of everything when I got parts for KARR.

Anyhow, a couple of pics. I have tons of the work but the end result is what matters.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers, it is a "10ft" paint job, but that was always the goal!

Need to get the registration sorted out then I can go play. Looks like a trip to the DMV unfortunately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Noted on the skis. I did see nice plastic skis on my friends more modern machine. If I had know before ordering the carbides and skins I would have. live and learn!! Maybe an upgrade for next year.

As for the DMV, Why do you think I have been putting it off for so long! I will have to go at some point, maybe tomorrow morning...??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info Coolhand, my budget is tapped for these two for the year, I need to finish the interior of my 1984 F350 and that will eat the last of my play money. I paid $600 for KITT and KARR and I am in for about $600 more for all the parts I had to buy. If I could go back and do the plastic skis I would. I literally knew nothing about snowmobiles 20 days ago and know I only know a little more!

I don't think I will get KARR on snow before thanksgiving. But soon after, we need more snow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts