Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any experience with GPS's and using them in the backcountry?? I've been doin a little reasearch and I would love to have one up there so I don't get lost but still allow myself to explore. Finding play areas one day and still being able to find them the next would be great as well as just making it back to your truck. Anything helps! thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,198 Posts
A lot of the guys I know use the Garmin RINO series of GPS. It offers a GMRS/FRS radio as well as peer to peer locating of other riders in the group. The 550 HCX receives a bit better than the 550. It also offers altimeter, temperature, and NOAA weather warnings/updates, which will scare the crap out of you the first time it sounds off. The screen is a bit small compared to some other portable units, but is still very functional. The peer to peer ability has saved our group a lot of hours looking for others in the group that were "misplaced." Battery life in the 530 series is very good, although the unit does take a proprietary battery pack. You can get an adapter to use AA batteries, though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!!! The research I've been doing has everything pointing towards the rino. The price for those are little steep but I'm sure I could find a use one for a little less. The ability to find a buddy makes me a lot more comfortable riding especially with large groups!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use a garmin 60 csx and am very happy with its performance.It is more basic but still does the job,Great battery life,recieves signal in my pocket,color screen,etc.
One word of advice...Play with your GPS before you go out exploring to become familiar with how it works.Go trail riding or use it in familiar country first.Also keep making waypoints that stand out for you to use to make a quick trip home at the end of the day.I did get caught one time doing a "GO TO" and wasn't able because the GPS wanted me to go over the side of a mountain because that was the direct route to a early waypoint.All I had to do was more of a back track to more recent waypoints to get home.Most of the new maps have coordinates on them now so you can pin point your location to find the closest trail or pit stop which really helps too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Garmin 60 CS

One thing to check on.
When riding in canyons or real bad days you may want to pack an external antenna.
I have lost signal before due to where we were at.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Garmin etrex 20 I use. Good enough for me, just downloaded free topo maps for it off the web. I would like the peer to peer location.. but for now the etrex works for me just fine. And it was cheap.. Think I paid $160 for it.

·
sledhead for life
570 Posts
Where can some of these units be found when shopping around?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts