Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 600 triple Arctic Cat powder extreme with 900 miles. It started on the third pull then died after it ran for about 10 seconds. It would not start after that. Plugs all sparked when I checked them and all were wet. I even replaced plugs with new ones. I also cleared excess fuel from cylinder with the though that it may have flooded. Seems I have good fuel and spark but it will till will not start. Any ideas? Can a kill swith go out to create this problem or perhaps a fuse? Any ideas would be appreciated. Machine ran flawlessly prior to this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How's your compression? If you have spark, it's not electrical, other then possibly timing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: problem is lack of fuel. Snowmobile will start when I pour fuel in the cylinders but will only run until it is burned. I suspect it is the fuel pump. Any suggestions on how to check for a faulty fuel pump or perhaps a carb problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
try spraying gas into the carbs if it starts then look at the fuel pump if it doesnt look for a bad crankseal or blown out base gasket. you can simply pull a line off the carb and pull the engine over a bunch of times fuel should come out.pull the plugs out and make sure the key and kill switch are off or you can damage the cdi. you did remember to turn the fuel on right? i would also pull the line of at the inlet of the fuel pump and verify fuel there. last year i had ice block mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solution found

I have it figured out folks! I read a little tip that problem could be with tank pressure. I blew into the gas vent tube. I noticed fuel moving through the gas line. It started right up and ran great after that. Note that the triple 600 has two tubes. You need to block one of the tubes with your thumb. Does anyone have any idea what causes this condition to begin with?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts