Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey that is awsome!;) I wish i had a thing like that to go threw even no it aint to deep but o well.

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
cool s_hit dude

ive seen guys cross rivers and go across parts of lakes w/ open water. not my cup of tea, but each to his own.

also, ive seen stuff on tv where guys strip down their sleds and race on a circle course on the water...seems kinda cool, but i prefer to drive/ride in my dads boat in the water, not my sled

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was pretty cool because I had a win-win situation

If I went fast then the sled would never hit the ice under the water (giving a feeling of open water), but if I went too slow then i'd just ride along the ice underneath.

Lots of little places around the edge of the local lake - :D

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
well w/ ice underneath thats not to bad then :)

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
hey thats looks wicked man, we were lake riding on sunday and we saw slush in a few places, thats a little scary on a lake if ya know what i mean lol.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cazwell said:
hey thats looks wicked man, we were lake riding on sunday and we saw slush in a few places, thats a little scary on a lake if ya know what i mean lol.
ya it can be - the first weekend the lake froze I was out on it - very scary when it's slushy - there was a good bas underneath the slush, but it still feels like your going to go through - stayed off the lake that weekend

·
Registered
233 Posts
tomarra im gonna fire up the 570 and take a trip across the beaver pond. its only 2 ft deep around the edge:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I went through on a small inland lake at the beginning of the season. Mott lake in SE MI. Luckily it was just the track that went through. We were already riding out on the lake for hours, so we decided to go farther away towards a different area, then whoosh! track goes through. Pretty scary, as soon as this happened I hammered the throttle. The thing is, I've been over water many times and can ride water fairly well, but when you fall through you have no traction from the paddles because the studs are just ripping more chunks off the ice as you slowly move forward and try to climb out. So then you have Ice attached to your track which makes your track basically equal to a slick asphalt track. Finally got out and hauled A$$ away from that area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i used to ride on water alot with my 700 rmk...until my belt got wet while crossing a river. It must have been at least 6 feet deep. i barely made it to the other bank...my seat ended up under water and the front end was just high enough to keep the engine out of the water....not cool....especially because i had less than 500 miles on it. i was alone and this happened about 20 yards from the mouth of the river...i'd have drifted out to the ocean if i didn't make it.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Well i was back up north last weekend and going agian tomorrow, but last week i had a quite scary experience. We were crossing a lake, and we were say only 20 ft from the bank nad my dad was a little ways ahead of me and i saw him sink for a split second - slush. I wasn't far behind and i didn't want to turn and loose a ski in the hole, so i put it to the bars, hoping my dad would get out of the way. A friend was riding beside me and it must have only been a 4ft area 15 inches wide because he said my running boards hit the ice. I'm just happy i didn't catch a ski in a hole or something stupid. Lakes just make me a little nervous now lol, i seem to travel a little fast down them now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, I've only rid in water once before, and that was on accident, LOL. I was right where I sit when we relax and snowmobile. I think you're too far behind, but maybe you're better at sledding in water than me.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ArcticKid said:
Well, I've only rid in water once before, and that was on accident, LOL. I was right where I sit when we relax and snowmobile. I think you're too far behind, but maybe you're better at sledding in water than me.
lol - this was my first time going across water.
At the other end of the water there was sort of "wall" of ice, I just didn't want to hook a ski on it, that's why I'm leaning back so far, but looking back on it, it looks like I went a bit to the extreme :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts