Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So myself and 3 of my good buddies decided to go riding today, we all had the day off and the trails were fantastic! The trip was going to be about 50 miles to our destination and then 50 back.

Early on in the trip I was really beginning to hate my limiter straps being so loose. The last owner loosened them up, to do wheelies is my guess, which it does very easily just about anywhere at any speed. But with the limiter strap super loose I have very little weight on the scags (which are almost brand new) and very little keeping the sled going in the right direction. I tried to tighten them up last year, and I was determined to tighten them this year too. But with no luck. The lock nuts were frozen in place, PB blasted many times with no luck. I just decided to leave them like that until I figured something out.

So as the trip got going I got better and better at sliding around on the tank/seat holding the front end down to get traction in the corners. Keeping up wasn't hard it was just a matter of really working the sled to keep the front end down.

Well myself and one of my buddies stopped at a road crossing and the other two went ahead while we waited for a car. They took off so we were hammering to keep up, I was right behind my friend as we entered a series of corners that looked like all the other corners we had just gone through. I turned left, at full lean, ski's went left, sled when straight ahead. I locked up the track for a little bit and bailed. I ended up face down off the trail in some trees, my sled suffered a similar fate.

I rolled down to my sled, popped the hood and found the ground wire was off the block, reconnected it and killed the engine. Everything happened real fast, we were going 45-50mph when all this when down. My buddy was ahead of me and didn't see me go off. At the time I felt fine and was just kinda shocked that I had biffed it, so I crawled back up on the trail and took some pictures ^. He came back and we started to moved it to where we could hook onto it with his sled, my other buddies came back 10 mins later and we pulled it out eventually. Pictures done really do justice to what was down the hill, it went another 150' just as steep as it was right there.

By our deduction it bounced off of a birch tree, hit the maple tree (6' up in the air) and stopped on a 2" sapling. Damage was surprisingly minimal for the speed and the stuff it hit. Headlight popped out like an eyeball, all tabs broken. Brake res is gone, not sure where it went. Skid plate popped a bunch of screws outta it. Left side lower body panel broke near foot well and popped all the rivets out from the running boards. Tore the center pivot point of the steering inside the sled. Bent the sway bar.

So at that point we were 5 miles from our destination and decided to call it a day. I had no brakes, hand/thumb warmers, or straight ski's. I rode it all the way home and called it a day. I have to say, God was on my side. Sorry for the novel but it was quite the adventure.

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
Had a similar experience last week. After exams, I headed out with my brother and two friends. I was leading(something I never do), and came around this corner and down this hill going about 40mph, and there was a big dip in the bottom of the trail that I knew I had to slow down for so I slammed the brakes and from there on It happened to quick to remember. All I really remember is rolling on the ground and looking around and saw my goggles on the ground and my sled in the bushes. Not a fun experience. My sled rolled so I bent my bars, a tie rod, tunnel a little bit, and thats about it. I was sore for about a week! Glad your ok!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Glad you're OK, could have been a lot worse, count your blessings.
Yes it could have been a lot worse. There could have been someone coming from the other direction. It's obvious in the pics that the whole crew took the inside line of a blind left hand turn. Just saying.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Glad you're ok!!! Just goes to show how IMPORTANT proper sled setup is!

I just acquired a sled, and you guessed it... the previous owner had the front limiter all the way out. I tightened it half-way this past weekend. I'll ride it Friday and see if it needs more tightening.

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it could have been a lot worse. There could have been someone coming from the other direction. It's obvious in the pics that the whole crew took the inside line of a blind left hand turn. Just saying.
Yes your right, we were not riding as safely as we should have been. In the past two hours we had only seen one sled on the trails, not that it justified it but we were getting sloppy.

Glad you're ok!!! Just goes to show how IMPORTANT proper sled setup is!

I just acquired a sled, and you guessed it... the previous owner had the front limiter all the way out. I tightened it half-way this past weekend. I'll ride it Friday and see if it needs more tightening.
Yeah, I tried to tighten the strap a bunch of times, I think I'm going to have to end up cutting the limiter bolts and putting new straps and bolts on the skid after I get everything else squared away.

This is the right side of the frame that holds the upper A-arms

You can see both sides from here.

And it broke away from the main frame on the left side.

Lots of crunched aluminum but I could bend most of it back by hand. I'm going to try and have it welded next week. Upon further inspection the right control arm bent 2" back and took most of the force. The bolt that holds the left upper control arm broke near the threads. All of the plastics look okay, the skid plate needs a few new torx bolts that seem to projected themselves off the sled to who knows where. Taking everything apart was pretty quick, my buddy's helped me this morning and it was done in an hour and a half. The bill is starting to look more like ~$200 or so with welding now. Which if you ask me is quite reasonable considering what it hit.

Thanks, all for the good wishes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You should be able to find a tunnel for about what you are going to spend to fix your old one that wont be straight.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
...Yeah, I tried to tighten the strap a bunch of times, I think I'm going to have to end up cutting the limiter bolts and putting new straps and bolts on the skid after I get everything else squared away.
Doo has this nice little knob you turn, and it pulls it tight, or loosens it up. I had to put a jack under the skid to take enough tension off it so I could turn it by hand.

Anyway, you're probably going to be farther ahead if you buy another used sled, and part out the one you have. Straightening stuff never really comes out right... :thumbsdown:

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I've got about $1200 into the sled so far. I know the frame will never be perfectly straight but it will be close, and since it's the front end I can get the ski alignment back to par and put back together and it should track straight. As long as its strong and the ski's point straight I will be happy with it for the rest of the year. Its just a matter of finding the parts now. Head lights are $50, brake res and gaskets are $45, I can't seem to find a right lower A arm anywhere for reasonable price...

·
Registered
427 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.