Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, relatively new snowmobile guy, had one back in the early 1980's then this one I just picked up this summer. Been going thru it fixing like everything that has been neglected for the past two and a half decades or so. In doing so I have new "6 inch carbide" wear bars for the ski's. I plan on getting ramps from the great "harbor freight" its a three piece atv type setup. The sled does fit in the bed of the truck.

My concern or at least one of many, is will these skis with the wear bars catch on the ramps and cause issues? If so, are there any workarounds? Better solutions?

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Yes they will.
What I do is when I get new Carbide, I tig weld in front and behind the carbide itself.
I weld a ramp if you will as not to snag them and rip them out!

Also I saw on You tube a winch and a swing to load and UNload sleds.
This way you don't drive it on!
For the cost of that ramp you could find a good used trailer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they will.
What I do is when I get new Carbide, I tig weld in front and behind the carbide itself.
I weld a ramp if you will as not to snag them and rip them out!

Also I saw on You tube a winch and a swing to load and UNload sleds.
This way you don't drive it on!
For the cost of that ramp you could find a good used trailer.
Thanks, problem i have with a trailer is storage space. So ramps have to be my solution.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You will need to put something like this on the ramp for the ski to slide up on. The carbide bar will dig into and catch on the ramp without something like this.

·
Super Moderator
17,164 Posts
You can cut truck bed liners into strips and fasten to the ramp. Sometimes you can get those for free or really cheap. Check the places that do Rhino Lining or Line-X, they often have take-offs that are just in the way.

If you do the bedliner, make slots instead of holes and allow the bedliner to expand and contract with the heat... if you tighten them down tight, they will buckle when they get hot...

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have used a version of this guys home made ramp for years. I think he is a genius.
one word of caution, at least to me, even the 96 inch ramp is pretty short and steep. cant really imagine launching up on something less that 6'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts