Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got a couple questions.

First- I wanted to make some hand guards for our IQ, but don't know how to go about mounting them. Anybody know how the factory ones mount? Theres a plastic cover over the bars so they can't be readily clamped on.

- Second- I just ordered a GPS for sledding (Garmin Nuvi 295W and SledGPS.com maps). I've found a way to mount it and waterproof/shockproof it, but don't know how to power it. Our sled has a shield hookup, so I was thinking I'd cut the factory cigarette ligher plug and wire in the male shield fitting. Would that work? I'm just thinking this assuming both are standard 12v DC feeds. Would any other modification be needed for this to work or is it simply a slice and crimp kind of deal. Maybe just install a standard lighter outlet on the sled instead?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's exactly why I'm asking

and I would buy the handguards, but thought this would be more fun.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Does the sled have electric start? If not, the chances of having a 12v system are low... Never assume a sled does, always test with a multimeter first. (even if there is a battery)

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea theres a battery/Estart.

I could just directly wire up an accessory outlet (to the battery), but wouldn't like to start drilling too many holes (hence trying to use existing shield hookup).

So the question remains- Is the factory shield hookup on an 07 IQ LX a DC or an AC hookup, and 12V at that?

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
You can get something like this and wire the GPS directly to the battery:

Probably wouldn't need to drill any holes as the wires can be run from under the hood to the bar without much trouble....a few zip ties.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just realized that I have an accessory outlet that has alligator clips already on it, so I'm thinking of just cutting the clips off, crimping on some small battery loops and extending the outlet cord length to be able to mount it just under the hood. Then just use the standard gps wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts