Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

I am originally from down south, and moved to remote Western Alaska in 2017. I see myself here for the foreseeable future, so I figured it was time to jump into a serious search for a snowmachine.

Living off the road system, there is very little infrastructure off the main road whatsoever. The only way to get out and see any country here is via boat, ATV, or snowmachine. Much of what I am looking for will be focused on getting from "point A to point B."

This means a lot of deep powder in extremely remote wilderness with almost no recourse in case of emergencies. In addition to simply being prepared (and pairing with experienced riders), I am looking for sleds most likely to complete a journey. It doesn't have to be the fastest or sleekest thing around.

Additionally, I have a very adventurous wife who also wants to get out and see the country. However, I know she will not be wanting to get out as much as me, so something convertible from two-up to cargo carriage would be fantastic.

Finally, while I have had some great mentorship on this topic in the past, the idiosyncratic nature of snowmachining from place to place has left me a bit confused on desirable specs I should be looking for (paddle size, etc.). If you folks could point me to a source of collated information on specs and their effects, that would also be very helpful.

Thank you all so much for reading and responding if you choose! I hope to become an active member of this community as I evolve into an owner and rider!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Your best bet for looking for a snowmobile is going to be BearAK as he lives in Alaska. He will have a lot more information on what to look for in a snowmobile for out there.

And welcome as well!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Be good to find out what the locals like riding around. I'd recommend something that is economical on fuel due to the mostly likely high prices of fuel where you are.

Which village/town? I'm in the middle, Fairbanks, so a bit different riding around here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts